G344-F

Started by jkel, November 05, 2019, 06:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkel

Hi guys, need some advice on this reel since it's my first ever Newell. Bought it used and seemed to be in excellent shape.

Looking at the bridge assembly I noticed some corrosion on that circlip and jack post, and also the lever.

The circlip broke while I was removing it from the post. I didn't think the rust was that bad and as you can see only part of it is shown. I have no idea where the other piece went. Looked all over the floor where I was disassembling it and found nothing. Anyway, I believe the part number is 3-21. Anyone know where I can find a replacement?

I'm going to replace the drag stack with Bryan's kit and also the sleeve with the Cortez replacement.

Any recommendations for other parts of the bridge assembly that should be replaced?

alantani

i'm sure we can find a clip for you.  let bryan know when you order a drag kit.  if he does not have one, i certainly do!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

It is probably at your local hardware store too.
-steve

jkel

Quote from: alantani on November 05, 2019, 07:00:27 AM
i'm sure we can find a clip for you.  let bryan know when you order a drag kit.  if he does not have one, i certainly do!

I've already ordered the kit through Mystic Parts prior to seeing your post. But I'll be glad to take you up on that offer, incoming PM :D

jkel

Quote from: oc1 on November 05, 2019, 08:02:13 AM
It is probably at your local hardware store too.
-steve

Thanks Steve I'll go check and stock up on a few!

jkel

Got the circlip installed...thanks again Alan!

Everything all cleaned up and lubed. Installed Bryan's drag kit, Tiburon 808 frame and Cortez Conversions clicker kit and SS sleeve.

Question on the belleville washer/spring. Which is the correct assembly, the smaller or larger on top of the drag stack? The smaller one came assembled on the drag stack and the larger one on the drag star.

Edit: oops sorry what I meant to say is should I use the stock belelville(large) washer/spring or Bryan's(small) washer/spring?

Yogi_fish808

I usually go with Bryan's washer but just go with whatever gives u a better dragstack height (tall enough to keep the star from bottoming out when fully cranked down).

Bryan Young

You may use which ever belleville spring washer you prefer.  If you are using my drag kit, my smaller diameter washer was selected because it provide good pressure near the center of the thin metal washer to prevent deflection.  This may differ when using the larger belleville spring washer that it may deflect near the gear sleeve unless you are fully compressed on the spring washer.  That was the though anyway.  As Yogi stated, whichever provide you with the drag that you want, use that configuration.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jkel

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 21, 2019, 05:02:33 AM
I usually go with Bryan's washer but just go with whatever gives u a better dragstack height (tall enough to keep the star from bottoming out when fully cranked down).

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 21, 2019, 05:14:22 AM
You may use which ever belleville spring washer you prefer.  If you are using my drag kit, my smaller diameter washer was selected because it provide good pressure near the center of the thin metal washer to prevent deflection.  This may differ when using the larger belleville spring washer that it may deflect near the gear sleeve unless you are fully compressed on the spring washer.  That was the though anyway.  As Yogi stated, whichever provide you with the drag that you want, use that configuration.

Cool I decided to stick with Bryan's washer since I'd rather not take the chance of any deflection. Thanks Yogi and Bryan!