Results from some decorative test wraps

Started by The Fishing Hobby, November 15, 2019, 02:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Thought I'd share these here too in case anyone is interested in trying these techniques out!

Dominick

Kevin, the threads from sewing shops contain silicone to help when used in a sewing machine to lubricate the thread to go through material during sewing.  It will resist rod finish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Dominick on November 15, 2019, 08:16:14 PM
Kevin, the threads from sewing shops contain silicone to help when used in a sewing machine to lubricate the thread to go through material during sewing.  It will resist rod finish.  Dominick
I've heard that myself. I've been using the Coats and Clark machine embroidery polyester threads for several years now with zero issues whatsoever. I think there is a possibility that there are issues with some threads out there, but I haven't run across anything that has caused me any problems myself. If in doubt, do a test wrap and see if the thread readily absorbs alcohol. If the alcohol beads up, you are going to run into issues. If the thread absorbs it quickly and wets out, you are good to go.
Also, do a wrap with nylon mono and let it completely set up, then remove the wrap and you will notice that epoxy doesn't really stick that well to nylon...it peels right off. Do the same with polyester monofilament and you will see that the epoxy really bonds well with the polyester. There is also the fact that polyester is naturally more UV resistant than nylon. Another thing to consider is that the dying process is more colorfast for polyester than nylon.
Of course people have been using nylon for rod wrapping threads successfully for years. Nylon is also stronger than polyester threads of equivalent diameter. Not trying to change anyone's mind, just bringing up some points people may want to take into consideration while looking at threads for rod building.

The Fishing Hobby

One other thing, if you have any doubt about the silicone possibility, just use a color protectant and you won't have any issues. I use Mod Podge as a color preserver because it is easy to find and cheap. Once it is on, silicone is no longer a concern.