Handy tool for guide removal and or blank finish scraping

Started by The Fishing Hobby, November 06, 2019, 06:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

This works really well! I just uploaded the video today:

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Another tip for  taking off guides or old rod finish is to heat it with a heat gun. Get it nice and warm and it comes off like butter. One pass with a cutting tool then heat it again until you see the edge of the cut start to lift a little. Usually at that point the whole thing will peel off in one big piece, thread guide and all. Greatly reduces the force needed and chance of nicking the blank.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to get one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

seems like a nice tool.

how long do you think the blade is still sharp?
Normally I use the single edge razorblade to cut the epoxy and thread above the foot of the guide after applying a bit of heat from a ligther or alcohol lamp, but after some use the blade become dull by scratching the metal foot of the guide repeately, wondering if this deburring blade will hold the sharpiness longer
The Baja Guy

The Fishing Hobby

I usually use heat from an alcohol burner to soften the epoxy. I was able to pull a thread up and unwrap the guide without any problems just with the cut I made in the video, no heat needed.
As far as how long it will stay sharp goes, it is made for cutting steel and epoxy is plastic so it should last a really long time. I've been using the same blade in this video for scraping plastic for months now and it is still like new. I don't know if they would ever wear out cutting epoxy and scraping finish from blanks.

steelfish

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on November 07, 2019, 01:35:16 AM
I don't know if they would ever wear out cutting epoxy and scraping finish from blanks.

pretty sure on that.

But IMO is risky to use any sharp tool to cut epoxy and thread direcltly on the blank, one faulty movement and the blank is gone specially on high grade carbon blanks, so I always heat right by the foot of the guide which is covered by thread and epoxy a bit and make the cut right where Im pretty sure I will find the metal of the guide foot, that way I will never touch the blank at all but the razor blade becomes dull pretty soon by finding the metal of the guide, not too bad cuz I buy the razor blades by 100 pack so they are pretty cheap that way.
so, if I continue working this same way with the NOGA tool blades I dont know how the blade will withstand the continue contact with the guide foot, they look pretty strong and sharp, tho.
The Baja Guy

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: steelfish on November 07, 2019, 02:29:17 AM
pretty sure on that.

But IMO is risky to use any sharp tool to cut epoxy and thread direcltly on the blank, one faulty movement and the blank is gone specially on high grade carbon blanks, so I always heat right by the foot of the guide which is covered by thread and epoxy a bit and make the cut right where Im pretty sure I will find the metal of the guide foot, that way I will never touch the blank at all but the razor blade becomes dull pretty soon by finding the metal of the guide, not too bad cuz I buy the razor blades by 100 pack so they are pretty cheap that way.
so, if I continue working this same way with the NOGA tool blades I dont know how the blade will withstand the continue contact with the guide foot, they look pretty strong and sharp, tho.
The reason I say I don't think they are likely to wear out is because they are made of high speed steel, the same thing as a lathe cutting tool made for cutting metal. I do some metal turning and you definitely need to resharpen high speed steel cutting tools regularly, but they are making cuts in metal spinning in a lathe at hundreds of rpms so that is a lot of hot metal being peeled off very quickly making hundreds of passes per minute...pretty demanding circumstances. Scraping along a guide foot is nothing in comparison.
I normally don't cut along the blank either, but I was trying to demonstrate the level of control you get with using a tool like this. It didn't even make the thread fuzzy, just peeled the epoxy right off of it.
Here is how I normally remove guides: