The Heddon 284

Started by mo65, November 06, 2019, 06:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This one is the big guy of the Top-Of-Line series. The catalog excerpt below shows it held 200yds. of 20 pound mono, had a complete ball bearing drive, and a 4.5:1 gear ratio. That sounds like a pretty good reel...but let's dig a little deeper.

This 284 was a bit rougher than my other reels from this series. The handle and rotor have some corrosion, but I think it should clean up decent.

I love seeing nice, clean, un-buggered screws like this. It tells me no googans have been inside this reel. ;D

Ya gotta like what ya see here! Ball bearings on both sides of the main...large deep teeth on that main...and an AR dog ahead of the gear mesh.

I'm loving this stuff for cleaning bearings Sal...thanks for turning me on to it. These bearings aren't marked, but whoever made them, they are great bearings.

While the smaller models in this series have what appears to be a chromed brass line roller, this guy has a tungsten carbide roller, and after cleaning and lubing it spins very well.

The spools on these reels have a silverish gold anodizing and it must be applied well, because I never see any corrosion on it. All spool components are metal on these...no busted or missing drag clickers here.

Ahh yes...everyone's favorite part...the drag stack! I tried cleaning, lubing, and reusing the leather drags like I did on my 283, but that was a bust. The leathers don't look too bad in the photo below, but the "start up" was horrendous! It took nearly 10 pounds of pull to start a 5 pound setting! No good...no good at all. :'(

A close up look at one of the leather washer shows the "glazing" that causes leather drags to fail. The washer is now darker because it was oiled. If they had been oiled from the git-go, they might not be burnt now.

Here's all the nuggets ready to reassemble. With the new carbon fiber drags the line pull off the spool was buttery smooth...no start up. That old half rotten line busted on every pull between 12 and 14lbs. I have no doubt this reel would easily make 15lbs. with new line on it.

The Heddon 284...one seriously underestimated reel. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Good job on the clean up, and the report, Mo !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Beautiful work as always Mo!

I love the heavy duty axle in there as well!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Nice, strait-forward tutorial, Mike!

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

The 283 and 284 are definitely A grade reels and can be found at economical prices.  The only complaint I have about those is the pinion bearing is so difficult to get out on account of those snap rings. 

Great tutorial as always, Mo.

thorhammer

xjchad

Quote from: festus on November 06, 2019, 07:39:53 PM
The 283 and 284 are definitely A grade reels and can be found at economical prices.  The only complaint I have about those is the pinion bearing is so difficult to get out on account of those snap rings. 

Chester,
Do you have a good pair of Snap Ring Pliers?

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-927-Precision-Retaining-Interchangeable/dp/B000TG80SY/ref=sr_1_23_sspa?keywords=snap+ring+pliers&qid=1573071472&sr=8-23-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHSlZZVTNPMDlWU1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMDc2ODlNVlZCMDZGRkZaSFomZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDEzODg2NjJNVEZKVDFETEozRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They really make removing and installing those rings a "snap"  ;)

jon_elc

Killer work, Mo and nice pictures!!

festus

Quote from: xjchad on November 06, 2019, 08:20:12 PM
Quote from: festus on November 06, 2019, 07:39:53 PM
The 283 and 284 are definitely A grade reels and can be found at economical prices.  The only complaint I have about those is the pinion bearing is so difficult to get out on account of those snap rings.  

Chester,
Do you have a good pair of Snap Ring Pliers?

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-927-Precision-Retaining-Interchangeable/dp/B000TG80SY/ref=sr_1_23_sspa?keywords=snap+ring+pliers&qid=1573071472&sr=8-23-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHSlZZVTNPMDlWU1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMDc2ODlNVlZCMDZGRkZaSFomZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDEzODg2NjJNVEZKVDFETEozRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They really make removing and installing those rings a "snap"  ;)
Chad, I have snap ring pliers and they work pretty well on D-A-M Quick and Shakespeare Royal Maroon spinners.  Mine have 4 or 5 different size tips, but none match up to these Heddons.

Thanks for the link, l'll check it out.

happyhooker

WOW, that is one strong looking spinner.  Ticks most if not all the boxes for good construction.  Very impressive.

I am no fan of snap rings on reels either.  Can never seems to find a pair of tips that are small enough to fit in the holes on the rings.  End up prying the rings out more often than I'd like.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Nice, Mike. That looks like one of Heddon's better & heavier built spinners.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Thanks guys! I use those same snap ring pliers in Chad's link...they are way better than my old set. I used to fight with those snap rings too...not with that set. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on November 07, 2019, 03:55:46 AM
   Thanks guys! I use those same snap ring pliers in Chad's link...they are way better than my old set. I used to fight with those snap rings too...not with that set. 8)

Yes, that's been my experience too Mo.  It really makes a difference to have a good set of snap ring pliers.  The cheaper ones are just as bad as having none at all. 

Also, wear EYE PROTECTION when using these.  Snap rings can slip off and go flying with some incredible force.  Be safe guys!