Question about penn 501 stock spool

Started by SevenYearsDown, November 07, 2019, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I have a penn 501 I want to upgrade. I already have a p21 frame from tiburon, and will be ordering the SS kit from pro challenger and the new drag kit. Should I also replace the spool or is the stock one fine? And what is the crossbar for, do I need that too? The plates I think I will leave stock for now, as they are a bit pricey.

nelz

Unless you want a different color, the stock aluminum spool is fine.

Gfish

I think the old aluminium spool would be fine. You could get some cool lookin color with the line, especially monofiliment. Which part is the crossbar? Somethin on the original reel or somethin on the Tiburon frame?
The old plates give you the ability to use the "quick release" head-plate, something I find valuable for rinsing out saltwater and drying internal parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

7YD (that's a long stretch),
   The stock spool is fine, and the crossbar is only needed when replacing stock posts to beef things up a bit.  Having the p21 frame you don't need the crossbars.
Welcome to reel building,
Dom

SevenYearsDown

Awesome. I will stick with the spool then. BTW how much 65lb braid can a 501 hold? 300 yds + how much 30lb topshot?

SevenYearsDown

And since I forgot the SS sleeve, I got one from Cortez Conversions and a star to match.

thorhammer

Unless you have another reason for 65lb braid, like bottom fishing, you won't get a lot of 30 mono on top with the aluminum spool, and personally I wouldn't fish that high without a full upgrade, at least to all SS internals.  Although you are beefing up some key parts, 65 braid translates to wanting 20 lbs of drag- still a bit on the high side for a jiggy in practical fishing applications IMO especially if using 30 lb topper. I put 50 braid and 30 / 40 top shot on, but that works for my particular need, and use stock steel mains from 500S donors and stock drag configuration with carbontex / SS kits. Adam's or Bryans kits change that equation. Let us know what you come up with. You might want to check gears of your donor- stock brass will then become your weak point after you frame up and add a SS sleeve. I assume you are going to power handle as well; no need for 65lb with a stock 24-66 crank.

Just my 0.02; I sort of go jiggy-50 braid, built 3/0-65lb; 4/0- 80lb; 6/0, 9/0- 100-130 braid depending on app. Maybe I'm a class down in reality. :) 

John