Okuma Solterra SLX 50WII binding with high drag setting

Started by Joao Tavares, November 08, 2019, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joao Tavares

I have just received my new Okuma Solterra SLX 50WII.

I previously had acquired a Shimano Tyurnos 50LRS 2 speed. To get a decent drag, although much less than advertized, had to adjust the preset to the point of no free spool and at the cost of noticeable binding of the handle. Reel limitation and I swallowed it.

After much reading and because I couldn't justify the cost of a Makaira, I opted for the Solterra SLX. The much acclaimed 2 trust bearings were supposed to eliminate the infamous binding and allow for high drags.

Out of the box, using the factory preset, not knowing the actual drag numbers, moving the lever past strike induces a little binding. Moving to full drag then the binding is quite noticeable.

Like I said, I don't know the drag numbers as I have not spooled yet. I will come back to you all when I do.

But the fact remains, even the 2 trust bearings don't do away with the binding. I suspect that if it binds, it must be hurting the pinion ball bearing, right?

João

Tiddlerbasher

Spool it - then check the drag numbers. In the mean time back off the the preset in freespool (all adjustments should be in freespool to prevent any (further) damage) :-\
Thrust bearings only help so far - damage can still be done if the preset has been screwed down :(

boon

Something is not happy in your reel. I have one and I can crank it down to 33lbs of drag with a full spool with no noticeable binding.

Joao Tavares

Like I said, I used the factory preset setting.

Don't know the numbers yet as I have not spooled it and won't be able to do it for the next 2 weeks.

Perhaps the factory set preset is to high and thus is binding.

Honest to say, it doesn't feel binding as much as the the Shimano Tyrnos I have.

After spooling it I'll measure the drags and will try to set it to the advertized numbers (yes, I'll move the lever to free spool before making any adjustment) and check for binding.

Or maybe it is just not a happy reel. ;)

Regards
João

gstours

My thinking is the pinion bearing ''on the crank side''  is failing and adding friction to the gears at high drag settings.  This is fairly common on these type of reels.   The solution I have found is to replace the factory oinion bearing with a ''angular contact bearing''.   these bearings are designned to accept more side loading and certainly worth the money if you can replace it yourself.
  Google it up and find your size, possibly Amazon.com or Boca bearings.
       Somebody might know what size the bearing is without stripping it from the reel.  It will be measured in millimeters.

boon

Quote from: gstours on November 25, 2019, 01:33:20 AM
   My thinking is the pinion bearing ''on the crank side''  is failing and adding friction to the gears at high drag settings.  This is fairly common on these type of reels.   The solution I have found is to replace the factory oinion bearing with a ''angular contact bearing''.   these bearings are designned to accept more side loading and certainly worth the money if you can replace it yourself.
  Google it up and find your size, possibly Amazon.com or Boca bearings.
       Somebody might know what size the bearing is without stripping it from the reel.  It will be measured in millimeters.

Normally entirely valid, but not on this reel. These have a thrust bearing on the left side of the spool and under the pinion bearing in the right side plate that transfers all of the axial force on the bearing to the sideplate. It works extremely well when everything is behaving properly.

SoCalAngler

Until you know the true drag numbers, measured with a accurate scale, this is all speculation. The factory preset means nothing. The numbers going up indicates more drag and the numbers going down less drag on the dial. Anyone that says other wise...well I'm not sure how they would know until they put a scale to the reel.

Gobi King

Joao,
I bought a grand new slxII 20 last year and I came in when I out at Yellowstone, it sat in my neighbors garage well past the 30 day return period.
I found it it had similar issues, and the reel out of the box just would freely crank.
The experts here helped me dx the problem and a quick call to Okuma yielded some bearings in a box free to my door steps.
Both reel and bearings have been put away for safe keeping for another few years  ;D

Anyway, Makaira's are not void of such issues, I bought half a dozen makairas and 2 of felt a little stiff to crank in high speed, in low everything perfect.
Not sure if that helps.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan