Shakespeare Wonderod and Wondercast

Started by ClintB, December 24, 2019, 12:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

Does anyone know when this setup was made? The reel is a model 1777, rod and reel made in USA

happyhooker

They sold a lot of 1777s in the late 1950s; not sure when they started & completed production.  Is there a model code on the reel that might help date it?

Frank

festus

They were made to at least the late 1960s or early 1970s.  This pic came from my 1969 Shakespeare catalog.  I have a 1797.  Very durable reels.

foakes

Look at the 2-Letter Model code on the sideplate, Clint --

For an example -- if it is EG -- it was 1964.  

This is a close approximation -- and there are other factors -- since the (2-letter) code denotes when this model was first manufactured -- and then would change again if changes were made -- even though it would still state 1777.

There is a Shakespeare Reel Series Dating Formula, attached.

There is/was likely also a 2 or 3 letter code on the rod --

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ClintB

I found the 'model' code FC on the reel. It looks like 1958, which is an excellent year! (my birth year)

happyhooker

I have seen an ad from '58 on the 'Net that depicts this reel.

Frank