Clone jig for bottom fish

Started by gstours, November 12, 2019, 05:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another jig in the making.  If been watching these catch some average size halibut recently and think that whenever the tides slack and nothing is biting on bait the jig is the toy to play with.
   In my area these are black painted generally.  6-16 ounce are available, about 12-25 usd.
They are fitted w a skirt and trailer j hooks on a steel short crimped leader.
The one shown here is about 9 oz.  raw.

gstours

Steel was used here but lead is about a third heavier I believe for  equal size.   It's just a start.
    The steel is just scrap from the dump.   Primer is dipped and hung vertically.  As these are generally fished in less than a hundred feet deep maybe hotter colors will show up?  Reds, and orange, chartreuse colors may work ok?   A short skirt is added using a split ring.    Time will tell.🤔

gstours

Shown are some long skirts but they may work ok using a large strip of bait.  The glow paint is still in the back of my mind.   Maybe a half and half?🧜‍♂️

Dominick

If I was a fish I'd attack that lure, just to get it out of my face.  ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cor

Quote from: Dominick on November 12, 2019, 07:13:54 PM
If I was a fish I'd attack that lure, just to get it out of my face.  ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Looks so good  my Goldfish tried to eat it off the screen.
Cornelis

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

The cloning is from the kodiak jig,  quite simple actually,  butt pricy.  Fairly common up north in my area.🎣
    These are a lead casting with the wire eyes in both ends.    As an alternative way to make some rather than make a mold was to pour lead in a thin wall conduit and sawing it to shape.   These saw easily with a metal cutting bandsaw and motor oil keep dust minimized during the process.   
    Final shaping is minimal and a center punch and drill makes the eye for a large split ring.  The split ring is my only opbjection as it's difficult to install with so much material on the angle end.
   My weather is deteriorating now and I may not have time to test these this year.    Butt I,m gaining shop time.    Thanks. For any comments or objections 🧜‍♂️

gstours

This initial method is fairly quick and the parallel end angle means one more cut makes another jig with no waste.

Bill B

I like Gary.  Seems like a variation of the copper pipe jig that's safer for the reef.  I was worried that sharp cut edges may chafe your line, then reread and see you are using steel leader.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gstours

Tanks Bill, its not just savinng the reef,  its more of a personal survival thing. ???   I,m using the steel thinwall conduit to be the form for the lead and coating it with paint.  not that in the long term it helps much or anything.  the steel is more available as junk and seems to bend 90 degrees easily to make a seal of the conduit in order to stand it up vertically without cracking.   a hole can be drilled in the flattened out part and then sqrewed to a ? and makes pouring the lead in quite easily. ;)
   There is no sharp edges as i use a belt grinder and radias the ends easily then dip in paint and drip dry.

Ihave found that times our fish are lethargic and they must be prompted into the attack mode.  tides seem to trigger this.  just sayin?