Squidder Mod

Started by milne, November 13, 2019, 06:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Thanks Jurelometer, 
                              Yeah, it will be only rat kingy's and kahawai I will be chasing with it, so it sounds like with the Tiburon frame and spool and gear sleeve
                        as others have mentioned, along with the 5 stack drag update, she will be a weapon. The handle arm has been upgraded, so all good to go
                   there. I'm really looking forward to getting this reel done and tested, it won't be on the boat as yet ( still under rebuild) but there are some great land base places to give it a good going over on Kahawai, which , smoked, is one of my favourite to eat. Can't understand people when they say they only use it for pet food and strip baits !  They haven't lived !!
  I guess though, this has me thinking in regards to Modding up another reel, with a slightly better drag and faster on the wind in, that can step up in fish size,,,,  Hmmm,  It never ends   ::)

Col

Donnyboat

yes never ends Col, know way I would take a squidder drag over 12Lbs, even with all the upgrades, cheers Don,
Don, or donnyboat

Porthos

My Monofil 27 with a Newell 146 100 spool:

with a THREE-stack of 6-155's got this on just 8lbs of drag from top-of-spool (the most via hand tightening the star is 12lb):

I'd expect the Bryan's 146 5-stack to be capable of pulling in bigger units...

thorhammer

Wai, what gearing did you use to get the monofil to accept Squidder spool shaft?

John

Porthos

Oh, my bad, it was a Newell Surfmaster 100 spool. Making correction now...

The Surfmaster 100 spool shaft has a smaller dia than the 146's...I'd definitely expect the 146's to handle much bigger fish.

Alto Mare

Nice fish Wai!
12lb drag can bring in even larger, I've caught some nice size stripers on reel using the same gears as your monofil 27 , those are smaller than the Squidder main gear.

You probably are using a Newell 100 spool, it's easy to get it mixed up to the 146.

Sal
Sorry... we were typing at the same time🙂
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

I was my intention to catch something worthy on the 27 on this year's SOA Charter to cheer you up! Hope that YFT did the trick!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Porthos on November 14, 2019, 02:33:40 PM
I was my intention to catch something worthy on the 27 on this year's SOA Charter to cheer you up! Hope that YFT did the trick!
Sure dud Buddy, you said you were going to do it and you delivered👍
Always nice to see what these little reel can do.
Thanks Wai!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

The 970 was also on duty this year as well.  ;)

It's interesting that after all the mods done to the Mag Power 970, Monofil 27, and Squidder 146, the reels' limitation shifts to the spool capacity...somewhere in the range of 325-350 yards of 50 lb solid braid for 40-50 lb topshots.

I will be spooling up the 27 with 50 lb hollow for next season to hopefully bump up the capacity just a little more...

Donnyboat

Col, if you use braid, you will get a lot more line on the spool, and just a short mono top shot, make sure the top shot is, lighter braking strain than the braid, then the mono should brake before the braid, that way you dont loose to much line, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Porthos

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 14, 2019, 10:25:49 PM
Col, if you use braid, you will get a lot more line on the spool, and just a short mono top shot, make sure the top shot is, lighter braking strain than the braid, then the mono should brake before the braid, that way you dont loose to much line, cheers Don.

A gamble that may be considered is to fill with solid braid and then use a hollow core connection to the mono/fluoro top shot. Say, 50 braid -> 50 hollow -> 50 top shot. The gamble is the knot to the hook will be the weakest point--it will be the first to break.

ez2cdave

Quote from: milne on November 13, 2019, 09:03:23 PM

Thanks Rowdy, That sounds perfect for my set up and the type of fishing I'll do with it.
                                   A fine threaded one it shall be, thanks.

Col

NOTE : The "Fine Threads" will also require a matching Star Drag knob replacement, since the threads are NOT the same.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

SQUIDDERS are my favorite reel, of all time !

Tight Lines !

milne

Nice reel Dave...........
  Yep, noticed the fine threaded star to be used.
I've been so busy over the last few weeks, I think I've missed the boat with getting an order in for my upgrade parts.
I shall wait till after Xmas, when I'll have more time to sit down and get an order compiled, the post ex state side to Aussie will be maxed out this
time of the year.  I'm trying to make postage cost effective by getting as much as I can, so I have to go over my other projects as well.

I think with what I am doing to the Squidder, it will be more than capable of handling anything I can throw at it,,,,,.
I'm excited !!!!

Col

thorhammer

Nice reel Dave! I always wanted to build a 145 Squidder Magnum.