Servicing Bearings on a Penn Squall

Started by jzumi, November 14, 2019, 01:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

I am servicing my Squall 12 and have a couple of beginner questions.  I apologize in advance if any of this has already been thoroughly discussed.  If it has, I'd much appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I have disassembled the reel and I have all the bearings out.  How does one clean the bearings?  Do you remove the shields and then soak the bearing in something that will remove the old grease or squirt it down with brake cleaner or something?

In Brian's pictutorial for this reel, it looks like one of the  bearings is on the bearing packer with its shield still on.  So that tool is used with the shields in place?  I do not have a bearing packer so is there another way to grease the bearing?

Lastly, is there a trick to removing and reinstalling the pinion gear and the yoke?  Even with everything else removed, it was a real bear to get the yoke up and over the spring studs.  It felt like I was bending the yoke in order to get it off and it did not feel like it would be too good for it.

Thanks for any help!  John

Donnyboat

Hi John, if you all ready have the bearings out, take the shields of & spray the internals with carb or brake cleener, then a little air pressure spray again, by then you should be able to work out if the bearing is good to use again, then it needs dropping into a jar of synthetic oil, or TSI321, before you place the shields back on work some yamaha marine grease in.

I find the best way to handle bearings once you take them out of the reel, is to get a small paint brush with a tapered handle, slide the bearing on till it is very tight on the handle, then cut the thin end of the handle off, place the other end of the handle in the vice, then flick the shields of, with a curved hook, if you wish to place the shields back on be careful you dont loose the spring, that holds the shield in, I find placing the bearing on a old handle gives you easier access to the bearing, once it is in the vice, good luck,
     and welcome to this great forum, that Alan & his moderators manage so well for us here, full of good people, I want to see some photos when you catch fish with the reel,
   welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bryan Young

Quote from: jzumi on November 14, 2019, 01:09:44 AM
I am servicing my Squall 12 and have a couple of beginner questions.  I apologize in advance if any of this has already been thoroughly discussed.  If it has, I'd much appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I have disassembled the reel and I have all the bearings out.  How does one clean the bearings?  Do you remove the shields and then soak the bearing in something that will remove the old grease or squirt it down with brake cleaner or something?

In Brian's pictutorial for this reel, it looks like one of the  bearings is on the bearing packer with its shield still on.  So that tool is used with the shields in place?  I do not have a bearing packer so is there another way to grease the bearing?

Lastly, is there a trick to removing and reinstalling the pinion gear and the yoke?  Even with everything else removed, it was a real bear to get the yoke up and over the spring studs.  It felt like I was bending the yoke in order to get it off and it did not feel like it would be too good for it.

Thanks for any help!  John

Hi John,

I use a bearing packer and with the packer, you don't need to take the shields off as the grease is squeeze through the opening in the shield from the rear, fills in the bearing cavity, and simultaneously pushes out the old grease.  Without a bearing packer, I take the shield off as Don described, push clean out the old grease with carb cleaner from a can, dry then push in grease with my fingers then close of the bearing with the shield and spring clip.  If the bearings have pressed in shields, I just remove the shields, pack with grease then reinstall the bearing open with grease.  Not as good but it's better than nothing.

I think you are in the Bay Area, so if you want to meet up, it's easy to pack the bearings and could do it in a matter of seconds.  Send me a PM if you want to pack a few bearings.

Now with the yoke, it's strange that you are having issues reinstalling the yoke on the studs.  It should slide on easy as it has to slide up and down easy.  I would look at the studs to make sure they are straight.  If you can straighten them, the better, but if you cannot, I would open up the holes on the yoke ever so slightly until it slides easily.

good luck.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jzumi

I really appreciate the answers plus all the help everyone shares here.  And Bryan, thanks for the generous offer. I'll give it a go and remove the shields, clean, then hand repack.  If I get stuck or blow it, I might come knocking!

John

Donnyboat

Ay John, you have proublem when the fish are to heave & you cant smile ay, great photos mate, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Just in case the shield gives you a hard time, try these
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1971.msg10129#msg10129
In most cases there is no need to put the shield back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Good work Sal & Bryan, John please give us a report on how you go doing the bearings please, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bryan Young

Very nice salmon John.  Love fresh salmon...anytime, anywhere.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jzumi

Success, kinda!  With all the helpful guidance the reel is clean, lubed and back together.  Feels smooth and works fine.

But- and you knew there'd be a but- two small issues.

1)  I can't seem to get the clicker to operate properly.  When you engage the click button it backs itself to the off or partially off position.  You don't get that nice click when you switch it between the on and off positions.

2) This gray, plastic spacer/washer came out of the reel but I have no idea where it is supposed to go.  I do not see it on the schematic.  I was hoping that the reel would reveal the location when I got her back together but it seems to operate just fine without it.  Any idea where this spacer goes?

I ordered a bearing packer so this reel will be opened up once again soon to properly pack the bearings.

Donnyboat

O rings are generally to stop sand from entering the handle area, with the click, make sure the spring fits either side of the clicker tounge, so it holds the clicker in or out, good luck, we wont some photos of the fish you catch with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat