Penn 349/349H Drag Stack Swap

Started by Cortez_Conversions, November 16, 2019, 03:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Question for all you Penn heads:

Since there doesn't seem to be a drop in replacement for the 349/349H drag stack, wouldn't swapping the gear sleeve for a 113H sleeve and running Bryan's 7+1 stack be a solution? The extra washers in the 7+1 stack should more than make up for the smaller washer diameter, don't you think?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mhc

Hi Tom, the eared metal washers are the problem, the internal recess in the 349 gear is a larger dia than the 113H gears so the 'ears' or tabs don't reach the slots in the gear. Otherwise it should work, the keyed metal washers and drar washers would work - the sleeves are the same diameter (the ratchet on the 349 is slightly larger but the 113H sleeve works fine in a 349 or 349H)

Mike

PS; You can make a 5 washer stack with stock 349H washers and carbon drag washers - I cut mine from a sheet of 0.7mm. Dawn was selling 349H drag kits a while back but I don't think Lee can get the stainless washers cut anymore.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mhc on November 16, 2019, 03:36:28 PM
Hi Tom, the eared metal washers are the problem, the internal recess in the 349 gear is a larger dia than the 113H gears so the 'ears' or tabs don't reach the slots in the gear. Otherwise it should work, the keyed metal washers and drar washers would work - the sleeves are the same diameter (the ratchet on the 349 is slightly larger but the 113H sleeve works fine in a 349 or 349H)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm playing with some parts now. I'm going to use two stock 349 eared washers and three 113H keyed washer with Bryan's thin drag washers and see if I can stack up a 5 stack.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mhc

I've probably got a spare set of Lee's washers you can have if want them.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

I thought Dawn did a drop-in 5+1 stack :-\ I'm sure that's what is in my 349 Wahoo.

mhc

Yeah she did Chris, I bought a couple from her as well but I don't know if she has any now, I think Lee was suppling the metal washers and it sounds like his cutter has other stuff to lately.  ???

Mike

Swami805

Didn't motive fab make an insert for a 349? Maybe he still has some
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 16, 2019, 04:56:18 PM
I'm playing with some parts now. I'm going to use two stock 349 eared washers and three 113H keyed washer with Bryan's thin drag washers and see if I can stack up a 5 stack.

That should work. Those stock three brake lining washers in the 349 are thick...like the ones in an old 113H.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Quote from: Swami805 on November 16, 2019, 05:28:16 PM
Didn't motive fab make an insert for a 349? Maybe he still has some

Yes he did, they are a pretty solid drag kit - he might have some left;

Mike

mo65

Mike, that bridge is the pièce de résistance!! Two simutanious...one alternating...the final word on AR dogging! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mikeysm

Lee made all the 349/349h metal drag washers that Dawn had. I dont think she has any left. She might have the carbon washers though.

Mike