Remove braid from aluminum spools for storage?

Started by Recoil Rob, November 16, 2019, 09:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

As said above, some kind of coating, grease, oil, wax, etc is needed.  Anything is better than nothing.  When I was at Alan's for the AT crab trip last December, he topped off and repacked my aluminum spooled Baja Special  for me.  He lightly greased the spool with an old tooth brush that had the remnants of grease on it. Not a lot, just a light coating.   Bill   
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

publius

If you have a boat you could go launch it in fresh water and "troll" for a few minutes.

Whit

Your question was mostly about the reel itself, rather than the line, and IMO others have answered that question really well already.

The only thing I might add to the "line' part of the equation is the old toilet bowl trick.

Best suited for urban dwellers who might not have access to a nearby freshwater lake to troll the sea out of their line.

The trick is this:

Take a rather large - bulk -  spool- one that will fit into your toilet tank (yup, the part that holds the clean water) and perforate some sizeable holes in it with your drill, at least 3/8" (1 cm)

The bigger the better because you don't want the line to be layered on too thick.

Then offload the line from the reel onto the spool.

Place spool in tank.  (I'd remove any bleach products like the blue bowl cleaner tablets, first!)

The constant ebb and flow of the water will flush the line out over time.  Probably gets the job done in 10 flushes or so, but more or less probably wont matter much.

Respool the reel it when you are ready to go fishing!

Rinse, repeat!