Isla Mujeres

Started by BradH, November 28, 2019, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradH

I'm headed to Isla Mjueres in February primarily for sailfish but would like to get some reef dinner fishing in too. 

Anyone have recommendations for charters or how to go about finding a good boat?

Thinking a couple days chasing big fish and a couple days on a smaller boat. 

Dominick

Quote from: BradH on November 28, 2019, 07:47:51 PM
I'm headed to Isla Mjueres in February primarily for sailfish but would like to get some reef dinner fishing in too. 

Anyone have recommendations for charters or how to go about finding a good boat?

Thinking a couple days chasing big fish and a couple days on a smaller boat. 

I have been interested in Isal Mujeres for years.  I welcome the information.  Juan Lezama (jlezama) grew up there. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I love that place- just got blown out when I was there as far as fishing, but did manage some nice 'cudas inside on Dominick's Tank for amazing ceviche.

whalebreath

Poor timing for Sails and you'll do better overall out of Playa del Carmen.

BradH

The dates are set and my friends found a place to stay.  We will make the best of it!

Thorhammer- any recommendations for boats? Internet search is somewhat limited.

My brother is fluent is Spanish and coming with us.  Figure that'll help

Dominick

Quote from: BradH on November 30, 2019, 04:30:11 PM
The dates are set and my friends found a place to stay.  We will make the best of it!

Thorhammer- any recommendations for boats? Internet search is somewhat limited.

My brother is fluent is Spanish and coming with us.  Figure that'll help

If you have a Spanish speaking person, go down to the area where the pangas launch from and make a deal.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: whalebreath on November 29, 2019, 04:49:45 AM
Poor timing for Sails
Winter is sailfish season in Yucatan.
-steve

conchydong

Quote from: oc1 on November 30, 2019, 06:32:53 PM
Quote from: whalebreath on November 29, 2019, 04:49:45 AM
Poor timing for Sails
Winter is sailfish season in Yucatan.
-steve

That is what I always understood also. I am not into Sailfishing as we have loads of them where I live. I don't target them but keep any legal incidental catches for the smoker. I would inquire about Yellowtailing (Snapper) or deep dropping  for deepwater Snapper and Grouper.

thorhammer

No recco, specifically- we booked through the resort at Playa de Mejures, and the captain and mate were really good with us and making best of bad weather- I got a little stink-eye when I wanted to pull off their TLD 25 and put on the Tank, but after I explained it, they were about it.

I agree with Dominick- there are several well-rigged boats at the marina in Isla; I would suggest to google it up and see the reviews then contact them.