peening a new gear sleeve post to a bridge plate

Started by oc1, November 17, 2019, 08:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Quote from: oc1 on November 17, 2019, 08:45:50 PM
How would you yourself do it with the equipment you have on hand?
-steve

Dunno Steve, you could try making a tight fit, support the post on the shoulder and peening the back using a swing press (hammer), but I don't know if it would work well enough for a sleeve post.
Maybe try making an orbital rivet head thingy  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on November 18, 2019, 07:42:42 AM
I'm sure you are correct Sal.  Not to keep beating this dead horse, but....

Do you suppose that guy in the photo above is a reel assembler or a reel repair guy?  If he's an assembler, where are his plates, rings and stands?  He has a little strainer like someone might use for cleaning parts.  I keep looking at it in hopes of snagging one more bit of trivia.  That photo was discussed before but I can't find it again.

And speaking of trivia, here is the backside of the bridge from a small OC baitcaster.  They put a washer over the stick-out before peening it down.  The peen looks like it was pressed/struck with a straight chisel in a circular pattern.

and, here is a random Penn for comparison.

-steve

Not really sure Steve, I just wish I was there at that time sharing that workbench with him🙂

If you look closely at the first part bin compartment you will see some lose knobs.
This led me to believe he assembles those as he's completing the full assembly... who knows.'
That is one of my favorite pic by the way.

I do a little peening at times, but not on the handle shaft, or bridge plate.

I will at times replace the clicker on the plate when it gets in bad shape:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23443.msg259044#msg259044

As you could see, it looks pretty good, that one was hit with a peening hummer using small taps while resting the plate on a towel on the floor.
I was happy with the results.
The video we've seen above, I don't believe it could work on such a small part as the bridge.
I've seen that type of peened rivers on bed rail, automobiles A frame and in many other applications.
That gadget must have a lot of power and probably as big as a school bus.😏

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.