Chinese Jigmaster drag

Started by Brett DeNicola, November 18, 2019, 07:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett DeNicola

Mostly a surf guy but needed a boat reel for a trip picked up a chinese made jigmaster and the range of drag seems low. It goes from loose to tight with like 6 turns of the star drag point to point. I checked my dads chinese jigmaster a few years older amd it get like 9 turns. I opened it up and cant find anything wrong though im not very experienced st talking reels apart. Drag also feels crunchy on the low end of the drag but i bought it at a shop supposedly new and dont see anything inside to male me think it was used amd returned

foakes

Easy fix, Brett --

Sand or grind -- then smooth down the ground edge on the drag stack spacer about 3/32".

Then grease the fiber drag discs with Cal's drag grease.

This will do (2) things -- allow more travel rotations of the drag star -- plus smooth out any jerkiness in the drag system, and allow it to last nearly forever.

There are many other things that can be done -- fine thread sleeve & star, thinner drag discs, etc...

But this is a quick and easy adjustment.

Got to remember -- these are high quality reels -- but not expensive.  So a few adjustments could be warranted.

There will be others with more exotic, technical, and expensive solutions.  And they will debate the merits of Asian vs. U.S., materials, and a dozen other possibilities.

However, this is just what I would do for an effective and capable fix -- without getting too technical or spending any $$$.

Many other remedies could cost more than the reel, in just parts...

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

You could also add another wavy washer (tension spring part no. 8-60) or change their orientation to get drag compression over a wider range.  Since the drag is not smooth you will need to break it down to grease them anyway and can address the wavy washers at the same time.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/8-60.aspx
-steve

Brett DeNicola

Thanks guys will sand them and add cals and see if that improves it

Ron Jones

The above solutions work just fine, of course, but the fine tooth sleeve makes a nice reel so much nicer.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"