Best Way to Rig a Crab, as Bait

Started by Crow, November 18, 2019, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

OK, I like to fish with either a "small" whole crab...or half of a "normal" crab, as bait, when surf fishing in the gulf. Issue is, I tend to "throw them off", when casting. Any tips ? Maybe "tie" them on ? The smaller , whole crabs (they call 'em "ghost crabs", down there) I hook by inserting into a "joint" in the shell, and then out "through" the shell...that works ...sort of. The "half crabs" (blue crab, usually), actually seem to work the best for the Red, and black drum, but are really hard to keep on the hook.........thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

I'm not sure there is a good way to do it, but small rubber bands help a lot.
-steve

Ron Jones

I've served them on just like you do a live mackerel for trolling. Thread can be as simple and cheap as you can find. Wrapping between the legs lets the crab act natural, hook on top keeps snags away.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

soft copper wire works...

also, get/make the Breakaway rig, or equivalent: https://www.breakawaytackleusa.com/products/leaders-rigs/far-out-rigs/

it really helps to have the bait not flopping around & everything in-line, behind the weigh, during the cast

kinda' expensive, but once you know you like it, you just get the specialized clips in bulk

& make your own (there are several effective designs that do the same thing)

festus

Quote from: oc1 on November 18, 2019, 08:40:26 PM
I'm not sure there is a good way to do it, but small rubber bands help a lot.
-steve
l've never fished using a crab in saltwater, but that's a good idea.  We use rubber bands on crawfish in rivers and lakes.

rodent

Amazon, "Atlas Mike's" miracle thread, thin, elastic made specifically for wrapping bait. YouTube the South Africans or British, they have a lot of ways for bait presentations to cast far distances without coming off.

Tiddlerbasher

On the rare occasions that I 'bait and wait' I use bait elastic - basically a thin elasticated thread. That way you don't have to hook the bait just hold it against the hook 'whip it' on. You can then cast a good distance knowing that your bait will stay in place.
A dispenser for the elastic also helps.
e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tronixpro-Bait-Elastic-Line-Fine-Regular-Heavy-Sea-Fishing-Baiting-Tackle-100mtr/254399244347?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&

Captain64-200

Those two methods are equally efficient  ,   I prefer the 2 hooks , specially targeting all kinds of porgys  (better hookup ratio )
Fred from Biarritz ,

Bryan Young

My rigging for live crab is remove the claws, then the top shell, and split in half.  I then remove the 3rd or 4th leg (depending on the size of the hook), and insert the hood where the claw used to be and come out where I removed the other leg. My uncle taught me this and he was one of Hawaii's old timer shore fisherman.   It held out great and the sent of the fresh crab brought fish in.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gobi King

Crow,
Never done it myself so take that with some crabs.

I watched guys on Dauphin Island - Ceder Point cut crabs in half and put the hook through sturdy part and and gently cast it.

Watched those guys get some big Reds
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

Yeah....crabs are the "go to" for the larger drum. And as Bryan pointed out...if they are "cut open", they seem to work better....more scent gets into the water, I guess. The issue I have is getting them "out there"...short "lob casts" are OK, but in order to get them out very far, it takes more "oomph", and they tend to "part company" with the rig!  I've gotten some tips / ideas to try...and ordered one of those "breakaway" rigs, to try. I'm also thinking of trying some of that "net material"( like the gals used to make "prom dresses" from), and use it to wrap the crab, then "tie it, a bit, with some aluminum wire (really don't want to use copper, and I have some "soft" aluminum, anyway :-\). I guess, if I was a better "caster", that would help, also  :D.
   I usually try to fish one set-up with either a crab (IF i can catch the rascals !), or a fish head (whitting or croaker).......larger hook, and heavier line, but, as "luck" would have it....the big drum always seem to hit on the rigs with 8 lb. line, and a size 6 hook, baited with a chunk of shrimp ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

oh, wow, totally forgot:

there's this alcohol-based twine & netting that carp anglers use to "cast the chum with the bait"
you could just about mummify your HOWEVER-HOOKED crab into whatever aerodynamic shape/position & the stuff dissolves minutes after water contact

I'll look up the details

Gobi King

I am interested in that also Phil, good thought.

We have synthetic stuff to tie spawn bags for salmon/trout in MI but I don't think they will dissolve away
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

philaroman

OK, so to find the stuff you have to:

• know that it's called "PVA mesh"
  • realize it's in an obscure category "Baiting Aids"
  • most importantly, correctly spell "baiting" in "Baiting Aids"  :o

https://www.bigcarptackle.com/bait/baiting-aids/pva/pva/

P.S. there's slow-melt & fast-melt

Crow

I found that "pva" stuff on Amazon.....ordered some in "bag" form...a couple different sizes. It sure looks to be a pretty good option.....I was thinking that the 'organza' (or whatever that prom dress stuff is called) might not be something I wanted to see floating around in the gulf !  Too much crap out there, already !
https://www.amazon.com/Drchoer-Universal-RefillBait-Accessories-Available/dp/B07PG6DDK2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pva+bags&qid=1574263763&s=amazon-d

on another note... I just heard from two of the "snowbird fisherman's club", who are already "on island"....they tell me the whitting are biting really good, and are "nice sized", BUT, they are 'wormy" :'(. . 7 years ago, when we first went there, it was only the "bigger" black drum that had "worms", now  , it seems almost everything that you catch from the beach has them ! I suppose that might be a result of the decline in water quality  ???