Best Way to Rig a Crab, as Bait

Started by Crow, November 18, 2019, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Crow on November 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM
they tell me the whitting are biting really good, and are "nice sized", BUT, they are 'wormy" :'(. . 7 years ago, when we first went there, it was only the "bigger" black drum that had "worms", now  , it seems almost everything that you catch from the beach has them ! I suppose that might be a result of the decline in water quality  ???
I bet you can find a worm in every marine fish if you know what to look for.  It is better not to know what to look for and to just keep eating them like you've always done.  Do not, under any circumstances, read Robin Overstreet's book which is now available at a very reasonable price from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Maladies-Symbionts-Northern-Mexico/dp/B00AHGF0F2
-steve

philaroman

Quote from: Crow on November 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM
I found that "pva" stuff on Amazon.....ordered some in "bag" form...a couple different sizes. It sure looks to be a pretty good option.....I was thinking that the 'organza' (or whatever that prom dress stuff is called) might not be something I wanted to see floating around in the gulf !  Too much crap out there, already !

been thinkin' (it only hurt a little)

the carp guys are generally working in drier conditions (spray, mist, fog and such) and their bait/chum is not surface-damp
maybe, only the slow-melt PVA is practical for S/W logistics -- it IS water-soluble, after all
(maybe, change your order if you still can)

please let us know how the stuff works out (I only know about it -- never tried it)
specifically, is it strong enough to put in EVERYTHING: lead, baited hook(s), loose bits as chum, etc.
so you're casting "one object"

Fishy247

That sounds like a really cool product. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out! Is it expensive?

MIke

gstours

Elastic thread 🧵 is easily available at sewing stores, come in red,white and black colors and is about three and a half dollars.  I use the Dritz brand as it's very elastic and you get a good sized roll.
  You can easily make a handy dispenser by slotting the side of a pill bottle with a cap. Or purchase one in the sewing store.   When you drop the dispenser the thread stays ready to use, unlike if you just drop the open spool on the rocks,  just my 2 sents.🎣🦀

Crow

As a "report" on the pva "bags"...they work pretty well ! I should have gotten some a little larger.....but I can get 1/2 a small crab, and a 3 oz.sinker in the ones I have. I can get "about " a 20%-25% increase in distance, AND, the crab stays on the hook ! I also *experimented" with "tying" the crab on the hook with small diameter aluminum wire (not 100% effective, but, it sure beats "nothing"), and using a "quick release" gadget that hold the hook to the sinker (until the sinker hits the water, which "triggers"the release). That increased my distance a "bit"...maybe 10%.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Crow, post some pics of the crab wrapped and the cow red drums when you catch em ;-)

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

Shibs, so far there have been no "Cows', OR "bulls", and even the "calves " have been few , and far between  :P! This has been...so far...the worst "catching" year , of the 8 years we have been coming down here!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

glad it worked -- did you get the regular or slow-melt PVA?
does the stuff have any specs/descriptors to help predict melt-time, strength, etc.

Crow

There was really no "info"with it, at all....and I never sent any "inquiries" to them, about melt times.  I *think* it dissolves pretty fast....less than a minute, for sure (water temp is around 62-64 degrees F.). I need to do some more "research" about sizes that I can get it in...I remember they also had "sheets"of it, as well as the "bags". I *think* it's made from rice starch....it's made from something "edible, anyway.....the neighbors dog ate one while I was showing the guys what they were....darn dog !  I banned him from coming along to the beach with us,'cause he always eats the bait !

Gobi King

oh no, few more weeks, let it warm up a bit, any sheepheads around?

Ceder point shuts their doors till it warms up and the fish show up,

Are you sticking around till spring break, last week of March?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

No, We'll be leaving about the 18th...depending on what the weather is like in Illinois.  Cedar point was open when we got here in late November, but has been closed since then. Sheephead are being caught (from boats) around the bridge pilings and around the rigs...seem to be doing pretty well ! Surf fishing has "sucked".....very few whiting...and those are small. Did pick up a couple smaller reds...24", or so.......no big black drum, at all. Even the stingrays aren't biting !With the muddy water...there are some hardheads(catfish) being caught.

philaroman

whenever something I'm after is running small, scarce & (esp.) wormy
I like to put a few (smallest legal) out as live bait
...maybe, cut a torn PVA bag into strips, to truss 'em up for the cast

Tiddlerbasher

When I was into carp fishing PVA (poly vinyl alcohol or ethanol homopolymer) had just become available (yes that long ago :D)
These days it's available as a mesh not just 'solid' pva. Any where that sells carp fishing stuff will have an array of pva products - string, tape, mesh tubes and bags, solid bags, sheets etc.
The mesh bags have the edge when it comes to dissolve speed. Also mesh doesn't trap air like the solid bags so lightweight leads and bait wont tend to float (until it dissolves of course). The tape and string could be used for tying the bait and weight together - hits the water - the tape melts releasing the weight and bait. I used it alot in freshwater but not in the salt. It will be interesting to see how it works in the sea.