Lingcod jig mashup

Started by pjstevko, November 19, 2019, 04:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: pjstevko on December 16, 2019, 01:42:22 AM
Quote from: Dominick on December 11, 2019, 10:45:48 PM
PJ thanks for the idea.  I received a couple of lures handmade by Dave (Jurelometer).  They are really good looking lures.  However the lure is only 8 ounces and trying to fish the 8 ounce lure on a party boat fishing at 270 feet is a recipe for disaster.  So I went to my tackle box and rigged this setup.  My question is, do you think this will work and if you were a ling would you bite this?  Dominick
Dominick how'd the lure work? Was it tough to fish?

Dunno, I won't do 11 foot swells so I stayed in bed.  I'll report the next time.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

boon

What line weight are you fishing? With Kaburas I get down just fine in those depths with a 100-120g (roughly 4oz) jig so at twice the weight you should, to my mind, be ok. Having really thin braid is essential though, or the current will bow out your line like crazy.

The arrangement with the two jigs as pictured... for starters, you have a J-hook and a circle hook. On one you need to strike and on the other you need to let the fish move away with the hook. So if you feel a touch, what do you do? You have a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong with that setup....

Honestly if you need the weight, as others have said, probably best by far to find some larger single jigs. Or maybe just put a ball sinker on top of the jig you have, if you really really must.

Gadget

its better if you use something like this .500gm
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

pjstevko

reviving an old thread because i never got to try this weird mash-up jig but it'll get used in a couple weeks on the Starfire! I'm planning on switching out the leadhead for the heaviest one i have since it will be on the bottom hopefully reducing the spin on the way down.....

Could be a disaster or could be a winner but you don't know until ya try ;D ;D ;D ;D