Silk thread invisible guide wraps

Started by The Fishing Hobby, November 23, 2019, 01:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

It came out pretty good considering this was only my second attempt with this kind of wrap.
I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this on a rod build at some point!

Bill B

Wow....can't even tell there is any thread. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 24, 2019, 03:46:54 PM
Wow....can't even tell there is any thread. Bill
Yes sir, it is very hard to tell. You can't tell at all on the blank and you can barely see any indication of thread on the guide foot. It is a pretty delicate look but should be pretty strong because the thread and epoxy combine into a solid unit. Kind of similar to fiberglass.

The Fishing Hobby

Here is a picture of the top of the guide foot. This was when it was still wet and before popping any bubbles but good enough to get an idea of just how "invisible" the wrap becomes. It is pretty darn hard to tell.

Dominick

Another good idea.  Thanks Kevin.  I wonder how it would look with some marbling underneath?  Hmm... I need to experiment.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2019, 08:51:45 PM
Another good idea.  Thanks Kevin.  I wonder how it would look with some marbling underneath?  Hmm... I need to experiment.  Dominick
Something like this , one over and one under
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Exactly what I envisioned.  Thanks Joe.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Sharkb8

That looks cool, looks like the eye is glued on to the rod blank

Kim

Fishy247

Pretty cool stuff! I've seen it done with various colors of silk thread also. Same effect, but with a color to it!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Fishy247 on November 26, 2019, 06:46:11 PM
Pretty cool stuff! I've seen it done with various colors of silk thread also. Same effect, but with a color to it!
Yup, translucent wraps look nice too