Metaloid M-5S

Started by JGB, October 14, 2014, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

Took a quick look at the M-5S Metaloid single speed (MSRP $189). The 2 speed was sold before I was able to take a look at it. I was not able to disassemble the reel to look inside but I did get a copy of the schematic.

Here is what I see:

This reel is very similar to the Andros 5 single speed.
The Main differences are the following :

The frame and foot does not have the cut out to lower the reel 1/8" like the Andros
The frame uses a 3 screw attachment of the side plate rather than the single screw take down of the Andros.
Spool has central texturing to keep line from slipping built in.
The reel does not have a ARB bearing like the Andros.
The reel has 2 fewer bearings ( think they have been deleted from the handle knob) than the Andros.

Similarities:

Same lever and resin detent.
One piece CNC frame with right side plate.
Same drag range.
Same dual dog anti reverse.
The drag assembly is single disk just like the Andros

Over all with the quick look the reel seems to be a real bargain.

Update partial take down of MET5S 2 speed

The main difference is the pressure plate is stamped not machined
Also des not have the water seal on the pressure plate

Jim N.

Tiddlerbasher

Jim, when I stripped my Andros there was no ARB - just a sleeve/bushing separating the bearings ???
This reel does look like a bargain though - can't wait to find one in the UK (and have a play with it :)).

JGB

Additional pics of the 2 speed

The pressure plate is stamped and uses the outer 1/3 for the drag surface (improves max drag potential)

Jim N.

skrilla

Ah been anxiously waiting for pics. Thanks for posting. Anti reverse system is a deal breaker for me yet again.  :(

maxpowers

I took my brand new 5II apart last night to do a pre-fishing service.  The left side spool bear are shielded and oiled.  I took the shields off and oiled with tsi 321.  the belleviles were in the ()() position but in doing so I could not get the e-clip back on as it seem the belleviles were already slightly compressed.  I had to switch to ((() in order to have enough clearance to put the e-clip on.  This in turn make the spool have a slight play of about 1-2 mm in free spool.  BTW there are very minimal to almost no back play with the dogs so I don't think missing the AR bearing is a big issue.

MattT21

Maxpowers,
When you had your bellevilles in the ((() position, did you notice a steep ramp up in drag from strike to full? I just pulled my Metaloid 5II apart and did a pre-service on it. I had the same problem trying to get the c-clip back in with the bellvilles in the ()() positon, so I arranged them (((). When set at 9-10 pounds at strike, it jumps to almost 20 in full. Prior to service when set at 10 it would go up to about 15 at full. This is the first lever drag reel I have pulled apart, I am just wondering if I may have put it back together wrong.

maxpowers

matt,

yup that was why i had to make a spool sleeve.  I think okuma need to look at the rest of the industry who used sleeve and shims vs the clips.  While using the clips is more desirable from the perspective of repeatablity, it does put the reel in a certain drag curve, ie, you cannot rearrange the belleville washers and shims.  In the case of ((() arrangement, it made the belleville washers stronger than the ()().  With the sleeve I can arrange the belleville washers in any pattern I like.  I could even add an extra belleville washer if I wanted too.

Mrc70

Anyone know of this reel comes with a rod clamp?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

It does. There are two different styles, depending if you got a M-5S or a M-5NS (narrow)

On the narrow, there are two threaded holes cast into the reel foot, and the studs for the reel clamp thread into these.
On the regular reels, it's the common arrangement with the keyhole-shaped holes in the foot.