Gear Noise in 113 Grouper Special

Started by SeaDragon, November 23, 2019, 08:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDragon

OK, we got it smoothed up, I took it to my friend's reel shop, he is open on weekends. First, he replaced the used gears from Scotts with brand new 149 main and 113H Pinion gears. Replaced the bushing with a new one, checked the yoke, and adjusted main gear height. Then fit a proper drag sleeve for it. He suspects that the arbor on this spool is slightly warped, which he says is common with 113's due to the fact they are thin, but Wednesday I'll be picking up a brand new Long Beach 66 stainless spool. Then I will be just waiting for Maxed Out's Tank Top. Thanks guys!

RowdyW

Who is Scotts?? I thought you were dealing with Scott & Mo from Mystic Reel Parts which is a Penn outlet. They don't sell used parts only new Penn parts. Unknown parts can be junk in junk out. Next time explain exactly what you are really using.

Alto Mare

Quote from: SeaDragon on November 24, 2019, 11:25:36 PM
OK, we got it smoothed up, I took it to my friend's reel shop, he is open on weekends. First, he replaced the used gears from Scotts with brand new 149 main and 113H Pinion gears. Replaced the bushing with a new one, checked the yoke, and adjusted main gear height. Then fit a proper drag sleeve for it. He suspects that the arbor on this spool is slightly warped, which he says is common with 113's due to the fact they are thin, but Wednesday I'll be picking up a brand new Long Beach 66 stainless spool. Then I will be just waiting for Maxed Out's Tank Top. Thanks guys!
I'm glad you got it figured out.
What I enjoy the most when working on reels is the part of trying to find out what's going on and how to make it work.

Enjoy that reel and please post some pics when finished with Ted's kits and
the new spool.
Ted's kit are 3- piece vs 1-piece frame from Accurate or Tiburon,
but to me they look the best and strong enough to handle any fishing.
I have about 5 of his kits, I will be assembling them at some point.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

Quote from: SeaDragon on November 24, 2019, 11:25:36 PMFirst, he replaced the used gears from Scotts with brand new 149 main and 113H Pinion gears. Replaced the bushing with a new one, checked the yoke, and adjusted main gear height. Then fit a proper drag sleeve for it....  I'll be picking up a brand new Long Beach 66 stainless spool.

So I guess we'll never know what the culprit was since he made so many changes.  ::) So is the Long Beach 66 stainless spool better than the stock one? (Aside from being stainless that is.)

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 25, 2019, 06:30:21 PM
So I guess we'll never know what the culprit was since he made so many changes. ::)  So is the Long Beach 66 stainless spool better than the stock one? (Aside from being stainless that is.)

Yeah Nelz...not much to be learned here...other than just about everything can crap up your modification! :D  That 66 spool is more narrow than the stock 4/0 spool, but not by much. So little that I just kept the stock spool, but if I ran across the 66 spool cheap, I'd prolly make the change. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Couldn't have been anything out of the ordinary, I've put together a few for friends with no problems.
As Rudy, I was a little confused by his explanation, I did mention to check the new main gear and was not aware that gear was used until the very end.
There are a few members that have done this conversion , all really like it.
Looks like was just a matter of having one defective part.

He got it working, so that is a good thing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2019, 06:53:24 PM
He got it working, so that is a good thing.

Yes Sal...I should have said that! With the higher speed, the ol' black 4/0 is a much more versatile reel.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SeaDragon

OK, I will try and shed a bit more light on the solution. What my reelsmith did because he was busy in his shop was just fix anything suspect. That does not narrow it down much. So, I called Mystic, told them what happened and verified that the gears were new, and they were/are so that takes the gears out of the equation. (I told him I was not calling to pick a bone, but to try and learn something) He said my reelsmith seemed very experienced, and if he was to guess, he felt that getting the right height washer under the main gear so it truly contacted and aligned with the pinion correctly was 1st important, the side plate bushing was also critical. The last thing, repacing washers on top of the drag stack to raise the height, with one drag sleeve was also a better way as it removes any slop between washers and pushes down straighter more reliably. When my guy, Dan, replaced everything he said we could do it by trial and error, but it was time-consuming and he had reels to pump out for customers. But both Dan and Mystic (I guess that is Scott) felt the main gear height was critical followed by the bushing. What I have learned is that gear height is much more critical to the smooth operation than I would have thought.