Something for the weekend.

Started by gstours, November 22, 2019, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here a little clip of halibut fishing recently where the fellow with the fish on the rod wanted to help with the filming.  Help is almost always welcome on my boat.  Overall we got some sunshine, fish, had fun interaction, shared snacks, and this video was made for you.
   As winter seems to be coming many of our interest change and some time is spent in repairs, sorting, maintenance and just planning another adventure when the time is right.  Be ready,  and Happy Thanksgiving.    ;)

David Hall

very nice Gary, another spectacular day on the bay.

Crow

Makes me want to go fishing !!  Any chance I could get a close-up pic of your gaff ? I know you've talked about it, before...is that 'your" creation ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

Oh My? ???   The gaff.  Yes I have a few pictures of it.  I,ll try to put some in here asap.  I,m thinking of maybe some drawings of the internal parts.   I,m not home presently butt the exterier can be seen on the photo,s maybe?    Keep checking and asking specific questions we can work this out.    Below is a picture of a green harpooned halibut I thought was ready to put a rope on and remove the hooks.

The gaff is in two parts initially, the oval handle has some extra room compared to the common simple tube.  This is nesessary to house the socket that lockes the handle in at 90 degrees to the hook rod.  the end of the rod has a shape that fits into the handle socket.  a spring on the exterior hold the rod in the socket untill the weight is sufficient to pull it out,  then the rod free of the socket, can swivel freely of the handle.   There are movement limiting stops inside the oval handle to prevent its pull out.   
   More soon.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

As I looked in vain for the pictures I can only say that I must have deleted them which isn't uncommon to take when I,m assembling something for myself and then erase the stuff to unclutter files 🤔 thinking nobody really wants to see this stuff.      This gaff 💡 idea is one of my better ones invented by necessity....
    I've dropped several into the depths by letting go ,  now it's just that more fun.
  I've got several drawings of the general idea 💡.   Shown below.

gstours

This gaff hook part of my post is that it's from a northwest idea.  
   Mr. crow and others might be interested,  just to keep this thread alive I kept adding to it.
  An Alaskan kitty,  Mabel. A great lap warmer.😸

David Hall

Hadn't thought about it as in our local waters rarely, (Okay never) do we encounter halibut large enough to twist the pole out of your hand but having seen videos of the fish you catch It becomes apparent that many of them could do just that and if you were in the way you might just get a big fish beat down from your own gaff handle.

Crow

Thanks for the info !  Looks like a pretty good idea, to me...... ;D!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Quote from: gstours on November 25, 2019, 02:01:57 AM
This gaff hook part of my post is that it's from a northwest idea.  
   Mr. crow and others might be interested,  just to keep this thread alive I kept adding to it.
  An Alaskan kitty,  Mabel. A great lap warmer.😸
love your bet tiger,,,,,  :D they look tame,,,,,, ;) but sometimes watch out,,,,, ;D

gstours

;D    Thanks Benni,  for the clone kitty,  these cats can be colored every which way.  Ive never met a cat I didnt like.   thanks.
     Sometimes when one of our cats growel on a window sill its one of these.

Benni3

Quote from: gstours on December 01, 2019, 01:29:25 AM
;D    Thanks Benni,  for the clone kitty,  these cats can be colored every which way.  Ive never met a cat I didnt like.   thanks.
    Sometimes when one of our cats growel on a window sill its one of these.

one night me and my neighbor Andy was having a nightcap on my front porch and here comes some police cars the neighbor reported someone was trying to break in to my house,,,,, >:( and Andy said no it's just bennie cat beating on the window,,,,, :D bad kitty,,,,,,, ;D