A first for me

Started by Midway Tommy, November 28, 2019, 04:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

??? Opened up my first spinning reel that had been lubed with anti-seize.  :o

That stuff is kind of messy ::)  and slick, and I had already scraped a bunch out before I took these photos.  ::)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Yuck...  and I bet it didn't smell too good either.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

The irony is...everything coated in that goop is probably shiny and new. I had one once completely full of that white high temp stuff...what a job! Put an old t-shirt on Tommy and dive in! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

I supposed it didn't seize though... ;D

Sometimes something is better than nothing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Wow!

Is lacquer thinner able to cut that stuff, Tommy?  Or do you need something stronger?

Can't wait to see the stellar result when you are done with it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not really a challenge for you Tommy, you'll have it better than new when done!😉

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

So does this stuff work as well as or better than grease?

RowdyW

It's not really a lubricant, but it does prevent corrosion from getting on the coated parts & threaded holes.       Rudy

Hardy Boy

That stuff is hard to clean up. Years ago my buddy and I were working on his boat trailer and his son, who was about 4, was being a pain "helping" us, so my buddy puts him in the boat to play so he doesn't run around and get in the way. He forgot that he had an open can of "never seize" with the paint brush in it. Well my buddy checks on his kid and yells out holly #$$^^$^, so I look up and he has "painted" the seats, his new jacket, his hands and parts of the boat with the never seize ......................... what a mess and it does not easily clean off of surfaces and never comes out of clothing. >:(

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: Hardy Boy on November 28, 2019, 06:30:13 PM
That stuff is hard to clean up. Years ago my buddy and I were working on his boat trailer and his son, who was about 4, was being a pain "helping" us, so my buddy puts him in the boat to play so he doesn't run around and get in the way. He forgot that he had an open can of "never seize" with the paint brush in it. Well my buddy checks on his kid and yells out holly #$$^^$^, so I look up and he has "painted" the seats, his new jacket, his hands and parts of the boat with the never seize ......................... what a mess and it does not easily clean off of surfaces and never comes out of clothing. >:(

Cheers:

Todd

Ha ha...now you both have a great story to tell.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

ARR Ha, they light grey stuff, works great but to just remove it from you hands it bad enough, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

It cleaned up pretty easily. I scraped as much out as I could with my little straight screwdriver, wiped off as much of what was left as I could with a rag and did my normal cleaning process with the lacquer thinner soak, Original White Goop and warm water Dawn wash. Everything turned out great! I did, though, have to scrape a couple of corners where the brush bristles missed a little residue.

I didn't do a full tutorial because it's an ABU Cardinal 40 and I already did one on the Cardinal 70. They're exactly the same except different sizes. Here's the results.

All the parts cleaned.

The body cleaned up nicely.

As did the rest of the innards.

All back together and looking good.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)