What year?

Started by basenjib123, November 24, 2019, 06:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

What year do you consider the end of the DQ classic reel era?

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: basenjib123 on November 24, 2019, 06:00:05 AM
What year do you consider the end of the DQ classic reel era?

If you ask Fred, and others, that era has not ended ;D

foakes

There are at least (9) series of DQ Reels that I personally consider worthwhile...

The originals from the early 50's & 60's -- SW68, 250, 265, 270, 275, 280, 285, 218, 228, 238, 248, 240, 245.

The next was the 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, 550.

Next, 110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, 550N.

Then the Champion Series 1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000

Then 1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, 5001

Then the "Petticoat" '02 series.

Then the SLS series -- 1's & 2's

Then the Clipper series.

These were/are all very good reels -- other experts may have different opinions.

After the Clipper series in the late 80's -- DQ transitioned to plastic/graphite Asian reels.  While of decent quality for what they were -- could never have the bulletproof qualities of the previous 40 years.

There was another series in here that I omitted on purpose because of their poor quality reels .  These were the numbered plastic bodied reels ranging from about the 84 up to the 100 series. 

This is just from memory -- might have missed some.  However, these are decent years for the DQ's.

So basically -- 1950-1990 -- with metal bodies.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

While Fred is the Dam Quick expert there are many that feel the "02"s were pretty much the end of Dam's quality.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 24, 2019, 07:08:38 PM
While Fred is the Dam Quick expert there are many that feel the "02"s were pretty much the end of Dam's quality.  

I used to feel the same way, Tommy --

Until I realized that a SL or Clipper series -- while not as good as the earlier series -- at their worst, were still three times as good as anything coming out of the astonishing reel mills of Asia.

The gears were not as good -- but they were still a quality reel, nonetheless.

The other top quality reel would have to be the (4) MDS series --

In the early 90's -- DAM was moving production to Asia -- from Germany.

The company allowed the engineers who were soon to be retired -- to come up with an ultimate set of (4) reels -- gold and black, Magnetic Drag System, and Solid and clever -- boxed in a wooden case.  No holds barred -- just the best reel they could envision.  An engineer's dream reel.  Limited number released -- These are likely the ultimate.

After this, pretty much all Tupperware plastic reels...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on November 24, 2019, 07:52:04 PM

In the early 90's -- DAM was moving production to Asia -- from Germany.

Sadly, they are not alone in that regard. There are many companies that did the same, too many to list. Companies that once produced a high quality product, but no longer. Now they make an inferior product and sell it at a lesser price, while trading on a no-longer-deserved reputation. Some had to do it to survive an economic downturn, and some were purchased by others, as a result of a merger or a bankruptcy. The name may survive, but it's just not the same company.

:( :( :(

basenjib123

Thanks for the replies.   Seems that most companies have gone the route of D.A.M. however,  Penn seems to have survived enough to at least resemble the company that they once were.  I realize Penn has also downgraded their quality but not to the degree of most companies.