Free spool for a Fathom 40NII

Started by Normslanding, November 29, 2019, 07:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

HELP! So a couple of weeks ago I bought a Fathom 40NII. Played with it, checked how much drag it would put out, etc. Opened it up looked around, all looked good. Put line on it, and checked the drag and it would do. Penn says 23 max at strike with free spool  mine did about 15 lbs at strike and about 20 at full. All seemed ok, spool spun ok, but not as well as I would expect. So took it apart to clean the spool bearings and put a little TSI301 in them. After re assembly the reel will only spin well when the drag is set to about 12 lbs for the strike position............ Been thru it, been thru it, and been thru it, nothing changes. All stack parts, thrust bearing, washers, etc were never removed from the shaft. Just pulled the shaft bearings and put them back.
HELP!

alantani

crud....

can't think of an easy answer.  it's usually bellevilles.  that is most common.  not sure at all what this might be.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

If there is grease on the edge of the spool or edge of the frame free spool will suffer.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Normslanding

Good morning to you all. I got up this morning and decided to have another look. I had not looked at the washer stack quite well enough, mainly because it had not been touched. After inspection guess what, both spring washers # 1265001 are missing. As they are some of the first to be put on the spindle it is not likely that I knocked them off at any time. So no crazy stuff, just have to get the parts.       
THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Keta

Look for them with your missing socks and springs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, weird, but it had to be something......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Normslanding

The new puppy already ate one washer, but he did not get near the reel. I may need help finding the one he ate.

MarkT

Some things you just need to handle by yourself!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tiddlerbasher

A strong magnet ;)

After it's been past - good luck with that!

Normslanding

Just to let you all know the reel works great now that it has all it's parts.

steelfish

Quote from: Normslanding on December 05, 2019, 08:59:54 PM
Just to let you all know the reel works great now that it has all it's parts.

that' nice but what was the culprit?
The Baja Guy