Daiwa 500C, a look inside

Started by festus, November 30, 2019, 08:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This won't be a complete step-by-step thread, my SD card corrupted somehow so I lost half of my pics.  

These are tiny reels.  I had no idea they were so small until I opened the box and got a look at this one. I'd been looking for a deal on one of these for several weeks, then this one popped up.  There was another that went for $26 shipped on ebay this morning.

This is probably the first time this reel has been serviced.  That yellowish film you see is Liquid Wrench.  Took some soaking to get the cover plate screws off without stripping the heads.

Had no idea what was going on inside until I removed the cover plate.  This is one of those with the oscillating arm and loop.  All other Daiwa C models I've collected have the oscillating slider and gear.  No complaints from me, it keeps it simple.

Removing the screw attaching the oscillating support and oscillating slider to the axle.

Removing the plastic bushing.  The schematic lists this as a metal bearing????

Removing the oscillating loop.  The schematic lists this as the oscillating slider.

The axle was very stubborn to remove.  One more reason I think this reel had never been serviced.  The spool was reattached to give a little more grip.

Removing the drive gear.

These have a 10mm nut that fastens the rotor to the pinion gear.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly. This reel actually has what I call a bar that runs from the a/r lever through the housing.  The schematic calls it an anti-reverse cam.  There is a ball bearing under there I took out and serviced, but it was at this point my SD card corrupted when I put it back into my Nikon D80.  There are enough pics here to get a good idea what's going on inside.

In Mo's B-grade spinner thread I mentioned these reels only weigh 5 ounces.  My previous lightest spinning reels were the Heddon 215 and Pflueger Trion 20 which weigh in at 6 ounces each.  Line capacity is 140 yds. of 2 lb. mono, 85 yds. of 4 lb. mono, and 65 yds. of 6 lb. mono.  Pretty sure there is a 4-1/2' ultralight Ugly Stik in the garage in mint condition that would be an ideal companion to this reel.  That Ugly Stik has only been used to catch creek chubs, shiners, and bluegill for catfish and striper bait. These reels would be great for chasing native Tennessee brook trout in elevations of 3000 or better in streams you can jump across as in the Smokeys or Cherokee National Forest.

festus

Schematic.

Irish1

Very nice look & I like that reel!  :)

mo65

That is a tiny little guy for sure! I figure the nylon bushings work just as well as bronze in these tiny reels. Thanks for the peek under the hood Chester. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

sweet...  now, I'm hypnotizing you to get the MiniMite (GS-0 or 00?) & do a side-by-side

;D ;D ;D

festus

Quote from: philaroman on November 30, 2019, 09:39:12 PM
sweet...  now, I'm hypnotizing you to get the MiniMite (GS-0 or 00?) & do a side-by-side

;D ;D ;D
Too expensive for me.  ;D ;D

These toy reels would be fine for micro-fishing where the name of the game is catch the smallest fish in the smallest body of water possible.  Size 32 hooks, 3/4 lb test line, a maggot for bait to catch logperch, darters, sculpins, dace, shiners, etc.

PacRat

You can swap out the plastic bushings for steel bearings. It probably won't make it any smoother but it will likely free-wheel a little longer. The Daiwas are very good about bushings and bearings being interchangeable.
-Mike

happyhooker

Silvers

Quote from: festus on November 30, 2019, 08:24:00 PM

Had no idea what was going on inside until I removed the cover plate.  This is one of those with the oscillating arm and loop.  All other Daiwa C models I've collected have the oscillating slider and gear.  No complaints from me, it keeps it simple

Same arm & loop have also the 700C and 1500C (the simplest of all silvers).
The 700C is near similar with the Mini-Mite, difference is the colour and a ball bearing more at the drive gear in the Mini-Mite.
Those ball bearing can be easily upgrade in the 700C, same goes for the 500C as well.
The drag washer dimensions from the 500C are bigger then the 700C, but both have only 1 teflon washer and 1 metal washer.

festus

Here's a side to side comparison of the Daiwa 500C with a Garcia Mitchell 408 so you can get an idea just how small these little Daiwas are.

Gfish

Wow. Had the Silver series spincaster back in the late 70's. A blast on small fish with 2lb. test. I like the placement of the AR cog & gear on yours. You'ed think they wouldn't bother on so small a reel, but it's a nice touch.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

I run 4# Trilene on my 500, 700, 1000, and Mini-Mites -- for back-country trout fishing in the high country.

They are excellent reels -- light and tough.

Never had a failure -- and have landed rainbows, browns, and brookies in the 5 pound range with no issues.

Undervalued reels by many folks -- others who know their tackle are snapping these up as quick as they come on the market for fairly high numbers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.