Aluminum parts and Ultrasonic Cleaners ...

Started by basenjib123, November 30, 2019, 10:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I see that a way to test an ultrasonic cleaners effectiveness is to place some aluminum foil in it and look for holes to form.   Now I know the aluminum parts on a fishing reel are somewhat different but is it safe to clean those parts in an UC?  If so,  what type of solution do you recommend,  how long is a safe etc ..?  Thanks..Joe.

thorhammer

i use dawn and water. stay away from simple green on aluminum unless you dilute and are on-point pulling it out  after a half hour or so. i have a purple Sea Line to prove it  :P

Dominick

Any of you have experience with fine silverware?  The second er first in command has asked me to do the silverware.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

It's too early yet.  It will tarnish again before Christmas.
-steve

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on December 01, 2019, 12:03:16 AM
Any of you have experience with fine silverware?  The second er first in command has asked me to do the silverware.  Dominick

Hagerty, Dominick —

Best there is, IMO.

No scrubbing, no polishing, just superb results.

Quick, easy, no abrasives —

Every Christmas, my job is to do a 72 piece set of sterling + 12 extra pieces for serving.

Might take 35 minutes from start to finish — and it comes out a bright silver with no tarnish.

We use our good silver every day — and only need to do this once a year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cor

Yip, I think the instructions are all clear anyone should manage ;)
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

To answer the OP - yes its fine to clean aluminium reel parts in an uc. I use ordinary washing up liquid (diluted). If they are very greasy they get a bath in solvent first - wipe down - then soap - then dry.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on December 01, 2019, 05:22:40 AM
Quote from: Dominick on December 01, 2019, 12:03:16 AM
Any of you have experience with fine silverware?  The second er first in command has asked me to do the silverware.  Dominick

Hagerty, Dominick —

Best there is, IMO.

No scrubbing, no polishing, just superb results.

Quick, easy, no abrasives —

Every Christmas, my job is to do a 72 piece set of sterling + 12 extra pieces for serving.

Might take 35 minutes from start to finish — and it comes out a bright silver with no tarnish.

We use our good silver every day — and only need to do this once a year.

Best, Fred

Fred, I admire your work ethic, but I was asking about using the UC.  I just want to put the whole batch in the UC and forget about it.  The idea of sitting there and polishing each piece seems like an endless chore, even though it might only be 35 minutes.  I like lazy.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

UC cleaner will not work as good as Hagerty, Counselor.

The UC cleaner will clean the silverware -- but not make it shine.

The sulphide tarnish on silverware -- must be cleaned properly and safely since you eat with it.

And it will be more work with the UC cleaner -- then with Hagerty's.

There are many solutions for cleaning -- and one does not do it all.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Midway Tommy

I recycle my fine silver eating utensils!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)