Main Menu

FLYING FISH LURES

Started by Dominick, October 15, 2011, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

pescachaser
hi dom,fishing ban came into effect on 15th oct;/15th dec;on most demersal species so unless the warm currents come in close like last year we are shut out.

Dominick

Wallace:  you got me again.  I had to Google demersal to find out what you were talking about.  Sorry to hear about the ban.  Does that mean you are done for the season, or are there other fish to target?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

pelagics will be our targets if the warm water currents come in close enough,tunas,mackerals,mahi mahi etc;otherwise most reef fish are banned.fishermen in australia are very angry at the moment because a lot of the restrictions are very stupid.eg;1 popular  species is banned for 1 week a year!there are a lot of silly examples like that and im sure its the same in usa.brainless non fishermen making the laws.no more of this its spoiling my day.

Dominick

I'm wishing for warm water for you.  Did you get the water temp site to keep an eye on it? 

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

yep,my fishing mate karl is da man,im hopeless

Dominick

Hi everyone:  As you can see in the thread that started this I rerigged the flying fish lures.  I must report that the idea did not work.  The use of a double trailing hook was a mistake.  First of all I never got to use the lures on a kite.  Second I did drag them behind the boat for a while, but they did not run true.  The double hook kept bouncing up and getting snagged in the soft lure.  Then the lure would tumble over the wave, not acting very enticing.  While the idea was a good one (even if I say so myself) but the use of a double hook did not work.  The whole idea was to be able to hook a Tuna on a short strike.  I will try it again with a treble hook.  I believe a treble hook will allow for some drag in the water and not bounce like the double hook did.  The third hook dragging in the water will act like a stabilizer keeping the lure running true.  I will report back when I try the treble hook so that we will all know if it works.  Dominick

Makule

Dominick, those flying fish lures apparently are not made to run fast.  There is another version with the wings close to the body and those will go fast.  I don't think your rigging is a problem.  My lure with one single hook on the bottom also flops around when going too fast.  I'm told it's supposed to be just bounced on the surface to create a disturbance, which the predator will come to investigate.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

Makule you are probably right, but trolling for Tuna is at a fast troll.  The lure runs ok but the hooks bounced and got snagged in the body of the lure.  Dominick