HERE'S WHAT A POPULAR CEDAR PLUG LOOKS LIKE

Started by Dominick, November 16, 2011, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Here's a few shots of how to rig a free swinging hook so the fish can't use the regular needle eye hook inside the body to lever the hook out.

I got this idea from a California board that seems to have deleted the photos originally put up-it's not my idea.

Like all good ideas it's as simple as can be-McMahon snaps that fit into the lure body.

I could only buy really big ones that didn't quite fit or mediums as shown-the black tape will work for a few fish/until I get some of the right size.

Ironically the Mustad 95170 hooks as shown are also being discontinued.

wallacewt

hi whale/pesca.  i tried the mc mahon and decided against it.instead i used a nail punch to open the eye of the hook,put a 5/16 solid brass ring on and closed up.connected with a centaurie knot.looks like you did the same, placed a bead on top,to stop splitting the plug.i also reamed out the plug with a 3/32 drill bit to accept a 6 1/2"plastic tube to go inside the plug.to stop the mono chaffing.300lb mono x 2ft.  3412dt,7690dt hooks are both obsolete.thats the reason dom i didnt accept your offer.i have rigged 3 different style of hooks.1 is the same as whale,s but with a short shank.thanks for photos

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 07, 2012, 07:29:29 AM
hi whale/pesca.  i tried the mc mahon and decided against it.instead i used a nail punch to open the eye of the hook,put a 5/16 solid brass ring on and closed up.connected with a centaurie knot.looks like you did the same, placed a bead on top,to stop splitting the plug.i also reamed out the plug with a 3/32 drill bit to accept a 6 1/2"plastic tube to go inside the plug.to stop the mono chaffing.300lb mono x 2ft.  3412dt,7690dt hooks are both obsolete.thats the reason dom i didnt accept your offer.i have rigged 3 different style of hooks.1 is the same as whale,s but with a short shank.thanks for photos
Wallace:  When you say obsolete do you mean that the issue of the levering effect of the needle eye hooks with the long shank has changed the way these cedar plugs should be rigged?  I have never lost a fish on a plug, though I have heard that the long shank hook has a tendency to lever out of the fishes mouth.  I will do some research to see what the going thinking is on rigging cedar plugs.  I like the idea of drilling out the plug to put in a plastic tube.  Do you drill all the way through the lead head?  Has the weather changed?.. go get those Tuna.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

needle eye hooks wont be made anymore so i dont want to be chasing around after them.i have never seen a cedar plug till you showed me.on tunatec,s plugs a 3/32 drill bit will ream it out without removing any metal.drill full length of the head for the plastic sleeve.it looks like there is a brass sleeve in the leadhead.the reason im trying 3 different hooks is to see if it affects the action of the plug.im also worried about 300lb trace effect on the plug.i thought short shank hook and mono as opposed to fluoro and a different hook.this is all trial and error for me.besides tuna we have a lot of other fish in my area who will eat them.maybe a jig with them.cheers dom

wallacewt

an update on the photo,thanks bryan for the help.
1.the metal jig on the bottom has the hook attached to solid brass ring,then crane swivel and brass ring go onto the split ring.its said to last 5 times longer than connecting the assist hook to the split ring.
2.plugs,all rigged the same,different hooks to try.
3.nail punch to open hook eye.5/16 solid ring.
centaurie knot,soft bead,large glow bead cut in half(fits well)plastic tube thru bead and out reamed plug(3/32 drill bit) tie off to ring or swivel.
its all new to me as well,heres hoping the plugs will preform   

Alto Mare

Nice work Wallace. Any reason why you don't use crimped sleeves there?
By the way, if you had a Penn you could actually get to use those ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hey sal
i didnt have any big enough to go over the thick mono,also the fish are not big in the near area.we were going out today but a severe hail and lighting storm stopped that.18,000 strikes recorded,4 people hit,lasted 8 hours.it was a magic show to watch.any tips to improve the plugs gratefully accepted.critics welcome,they are only proto types.
sal i only use lever drag reels unless im fleain about.penn thats what i use to write with :D

Dominick

Wallace:  What are the odds of being struck by lightning?  18K to 4 and you were worried ;).  I like the way the plugs look in the manner you have rigged them.  I like the look of the 3rd one down :-*.  I also like the beads and flash you have attached.  Have you watched them work yet?  Also were you able to get the hook to ride vertically?  I can't wait for a report.  Good Luck.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on January 20, 2012, 12:56:12 PM
hey sal
i didnt have any big enough to go over the thick mono,also the fish are not big in the near area.we were going out today but a severe hail and lighting storm stopped that.18,000 strikes recorded,4 people hit,lasted 8 hours.it was a magic show to watch.any tips to improve the plugs gratefully accepted.critics welcome,they are only proto types.
sal i only use lever drag reels unless im fleain about.penn thats what i use to write with :D

Ok, if that's the case I'll take those Penn's that you have , not the ones that you write with ;).
I'm hoping you didn't mean the people hit was a magic show to watch :-\.
Very creative with  those plugs. I think that I still have your address, maybe I'll send you some heavy duty sleves.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

pesca, vertical?hooks are free swinging on solid brass ring and trail straight behind the plug.balanced,dont think it matters at all.reflective tape was stuck on willy nilly also.
alto, thanks for the offer,(crimps)but there is no need.if i need any its just a short walk up the street.
cheers

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 20, 2012, 11:44:09 PM
pesca, vertical?hooks are free swinging on solid brass ring and trail straight behind the plug.balanced,dont think it matters at all.reflective tape was stuck on willy nilly also.
alto, thanks for the offer,(crimps)but there is no need.if i need any its just a short walk up the street.
cheers
Wallace:  IMO the hook should be pointing up.  Why?  Because of the way Tuna grab the bait from below.  This has been a tried and true tactic since cedar plugs have been used.  That is not to say your way won't work, Tuna will hit it by its action in the water.  I think it does matter to tune the plug because that will tell you where to put the reflective tape.  Everyone has an opinion.  Check out this link. Dominick         http://steviedow.hubpages.com/hub/Cedar-Plugs-Tuna-Lures

wallacewt

pesca,you could be right mate,i dont know,videos i watched the plugs jump all over the place.i added the glow beads hoping the fish hit the tail.not even sure there will be any tuna around this year,mahi mahi will be,kingfish samson,all depends on el nino.
i have a ? for you,the bloke that tested the shimano tranx reel on utube was he casting a cedar plug?

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 21, 2012, 06:26:17 AM
pesca,you could be right mate,i dont know,videos i watched the plugs jump all over the place.i added the glow beads hoping the fish hit the tail.not even sure there will be any tuna around this year,mahi mahi will be,kingfish samson,all depends on el nino.
i have a ? for you,the bloke that tested the shimano tranx reel on utube was he casting a cedar plug?
Wallace:  I went back over the video.  There were no cedar plugs that I could see.  If you will look at the video at 1:15 there is a plug that is similar.  I do not know what type of plug that is but it looks like a modified cedar plug.  If you will notice it has 2 treble hooks like a Bomber or Popper.  It is an interesting looking lure, maybe someone picking up on this thread will know what the lure is.  By the way the guy in the video uses several different lures, the one I am talking about looks like a cedar plug at 1:15 on the video.  Mahi mahi will hit cedar plugs.  I am not sure but when targeting Mahi Mahi the troll is slightly slower than for Tuna.  Dominick

wallacewt

ok dom
spanish mac caught 3 days ago (not me)
i just gotta get out there,but its proving very hard.
keep well

wallacewt

got out yesterday(sat) and what a disappointment with the plugs.they tracked straight and never moved off line.(6knots)could be the heavy mono+plastic sleeve.ive got some soft 100lb mono,ill strip them all down and try again next trip.(tues) got 7 crays(lobster) 1dhu fish.