alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial My Hot Rodded Penns
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 27, 2020, 05:32:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Hot Rodded Penns  (Read 10384 times)
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:19:07 AM »

Beautiful reels. I have used the mags in both of the jigmaster reels I use. They work really well. As your thumb gets educated you can remove them. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Bob

luck is the residue of design.
Cone
Firearms Group

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »

VW, you can be proud of your work. These are some great looking reels. I'm going to have to mag one of my reels. I'm not the best at casting a conventional.  Bob

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD
broadway
Sensei

Broadway Dom, New York City

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

VW,
Sweet reels!... that are available for we patient few Wink
Did you use gel gloss on those plates, as Rob has recommended?
Do you use those and shine them every time you come back from a trip? If so, I finally found someone with worse OCD than me Grin
Thanks for showing,
Dom
wallacewt
Photo Group

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

oh my. i cant do that
they need to go in an art museum
VW

Indy

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

Did you use gel gloss on those plates, as Rob has recommended?
Do you use those and shine them every time you come back from a trip? If so, I finally found someone with worse OCD than me Grin
Thanks for showing,
Dom

I do use Nu Finish on cleaned parts before assembly.  It helps.  I do not get to use them as often as many others here.  Yes, they get cleaned after a trip.  If I was able to use them more often they probably would not get the full treatment after every trip.
john2244

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

Nice collection !!
SNAPPERHEAD

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:58 AM »

Nice reels there. All classics!

SNAPPERHEAD
The Great Maudu

I'd rather be hearing the clickers scream

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »

eta: I really thought the guys name was Gowge.  Turns out his name was George Pope and that was a nick name he went by.  He passed a few years ago.  A quick search turned up some tributes but none of the info I had seen before.      

I just cam across this old post an the reference to "Gowge" or George Pope in reference to magging Penn reels. He was a frequent contributor on the old Florida Surf Fishing board - a place where the gurus of the day gathered much like they do here on this board. Another pioneer on the magging field was a man named Earl Brinn. There were some really knowledgeable people posting back then. It's a shame that it's all lost now.
GWT#1

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »

Beautiful reels
Would love to know what frames being used on senators besides the turbion frame??
Paul_A

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2019, 05:50:16 AM »

eta: I really thought the guys name was Gowge.  Turns out his name was George Pope and that was a nick name he went by.  He passed a few years ago.  A quick search turned up some tributes but none of the info I had seen before.      

I just cam across this old post an the reference to "Gowge" or George Pope in reference to magging Penn reels. He was a frequent contributor on the old Florida Surf Fishing board - a place where the gurus of the day gathered much like they do here on this board. Another pioneer on the magging field was a man named Earl Brinn. There were some really knowledgeable people posting back then. It's a shame that it's all lost now.

Gowge posted a lot on the old Florida Sportsman fishing forum as well.

One time he posted a complete pictorial of cast control magnet install on a Penn. And the FS forum lost all the old posts as well. Such a shame.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: