my mangrove creek arsenal

Started by basto, December 01, 2019, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

These are my reels for fishing the salt water estuaries of Queensland, Australia.
You will notice the reels are all the 3 size DAM Quicks. This size fits my needs best and the only other size DAM I have is my 270.
I have converted my 330 and 331 to carbontex drags and my 3001 reels are stock.

I also have a 285 and a 330 spares reel.
I have put a few more scars on my reels  from bouncing around in aluminium dinghies up creeks, but I do intend to use my 3001 reels out on the blue chasing small pelagics .
I have 8lb mono on my 330, 12lb mono on my 331, 8kg mono on my 3001, and 40lb braid on my older 3001.
The fish we usually encounter are bream, grunter, finger mark bream, cod, salmon, and if you are lucky, barramundi, which I have not managed to land yet.
I don't have use for spinners any larger than these and prefer to go to my conventional reels for bigger mackerel, tuna and reef fish.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Great looking stable Greg! I'm a huge fan of the "3" size Quicks. I only have the 3000, but it has so impressed me that I'm stalking the 3001 and 3002. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Hi Mo
Yes, the 3001 and 3002 reels are very desirable indeed. I need to put some paint back on my old 3001. Don't see them for sale often, as you would know.
Good luck with your search.
Greg

Gfish

Nice! Thanks for the pictures.
Spinners bigger than those can be a pain sometimes. Their biggest advantage would be line capacity. The DAM's are so well made I can't see any strength loss due to smaller size.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Hey Greg , very nice stash you got there.
The 3000 is my favorite size to use in our neck of the woods as well, very manageable reel.
This year I did a little surf fishing, I happened to have an early Penn 650ss and a DAM 3000.
I really like both of these skirted spool models, I was surprised to feel how much easier the DAM handled the same size fish, compared to the 650ss.

Enjoy those!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Yes Sal, I read your beach fishing post. Very enjoyable. The DAM reels are just so strong. The only thing I had go wrong was the little metal piece that the spool button pops up from on top of the spool cap. It just fell off and I ruined it trying to get it back on, so I just epoxied a silver coin in place (after drilling a hole in the middle)
There is no load on this piece, so it should be fine. My only DAM spinner with a coin edge part . That old 3001 had a hard life.
Greg

basto

The 330 at the rear in the bottom photo arrived very recently. I wanted a 4 screw side plate 330 just like the 285 has.
This early 330 does not have the metal spool like the 285,  but in my opinion has a better drag than the 285.
The later 3 screw 330 has an ambidextrous occilation arm, but I took no chances and made sure I got one with the handle on the correct side for me.
cheers
Basto

mhc

Nice set of spinners Greg, a good sized blue salmon would be fun on one of those - the drags would get a solid workout  ;)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Midway Tommy

Nice group, Greg! They should serve you well for your intended purpose!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Quote from: mhc on December 03, 2019, 01:01:56 AM
Nice set of spinners Greg, a good sized blue salmon would be fun on one of those - the drags would get a solid workout  ;)

Mike

Sure would Mike. I am yet to experience that.
Greg

basto

Hi Tommy and Fred
Yes, I consider myself very lucky to have found these reels.
Greg

festus

That is quite an arsenal.  I had to Google most of the fish species you're targeting, heard of most of them but had no clue what they look like.

foakes

If you could use a couple of these 3001 drag knobs Greg -- I would drop them in the mail tomorrow --

They are new.

No Charge.

I have your address.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Quote from: festus on December 03, 2019, 04:28:58 PM
That is quite an arsenal.  I had to Google most of the fish species you're targeting, heard of most of them but had no clue what they look like.

I will have to put up some fish pics when I get to go fishing again.
Greg