113H Stainless

Started by SeaDragon, December 02, 2019, 01:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDragon

Are the factory parts on the bright red-sided 113H's, side plate rings, drag star, eccentric lever, etc stainless? I searched the internet and could find nothing other than, "corrosion-resistant" for a description. Thanks.

RowdyW

They used to be chrome plated brass. A lot of those parts are now stainless steel on the ones made in China. Not a high grade of ss though.           Rudy

SeaDragon

Interesting, these are USA made, not H2, the reason I ask is, they show no corrosion or brass under scratches, and the sheen seems just slightly different than the chrome ones I know are chrome. They show no corrosion at all, and are older red sides. I just don't know how to tell if they are or not. I have the equipment to polish stainless, if that's what they are.

RowdyW

The scratches might not be deep enough to show the brass.  Maybe pop off one of the rings & sand a little spot on the inside surface & see if any brass shows up. Stainless will never have the luster of chrome. The best chrome has a coat of nickle under the chrome which gives it the best depth of luster. The older rings from the 60's & earlier had the best looking chrome. Chrome from about the 70's & later didn't have as good of a chrome job.

Maxed Out

Some USA made 113h have stainless rings. If your not sure, just hit emery cloth on the under side that's hidden.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

SeaDragon

I'll do that. They look stainless. I hope they are, I can clean that up well. I have a 3rd one, which has dark maroon sides, it is just virgin in appearance, but I can tell it is chromed. The other two, with fire engine red sides, they are not as virgin, but the rings just have a different look. I bet they are stainless.

RowdyW

I'm not positive but I think the last few years of the Sp. Senators & Senators produced here in the US were switched to ss.  Especially the ones with the 5 hole rings. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on December 02, 2019, 05:24:21 AM
I'm not positive but I think the last few years of the Sp. Senators & Senators produced here in the US were switched to ss.  Especially the ones with the 5 hole rings. 
I believe you are correct Rudy. The problem, you would probably better off with Chromed Brass, if you choose to go with those. I've seen a few with rust.
I'm surprised Penn would approve such grade of stainless steel on their reels :-\
I've seen some members make their own, but they're a lot of work and couldn't justifie their cost.
Chris from Australia offered to make me a set on him a while back, I told him I appreciate it but, but didn't want him to do all that work.
"The Tank" has a ss set from him...thanks again Chris!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cuttyhunker

Cheaper SS is usually 400 series and is magnetic. The better SS is 300 series and not magnetic.  Most marine SS fasteners are 304, also commonly referred to as 18-8, being non magnetic.  The commonest high grade is 316 series, about 25% more $$ than the 304.
Doomed from childhood

SeaDragon

They are stainless, they buff up nice.

Maxed Out

Quote from: SeaDragon on December 03, 2019, 02:16:14 PM
They are stainless, they buff up nice.

Nice !!

Just to clarify, your stainless rings are the 8 hole version and also the perimeter screws are for flat screwdriver (not Philips head)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

SeaDragon

Actually, they are 8 hole version, with the 1/2 frame and 1 top post, Phillips head screws, it was a 113HSP, I'm turning into a Tiburon narrow, T4N, I got the spool and frame from Randy. Got a counterbalanced handle from Sal. My other 4/0 project, a 113 Grouper Special, is just waiting for your base and posts, and a stainless 66 spool. I have a great big buffer I do vintage auto stainless in, the 113H stainless rings came out great using stainless compound on a 14" spiral buff, then white compound on a loose buff. If I wanted I could have started with a sisal wheel and got them perfectly new again. As it is the spiral buff got 98% of everything off them, very shiny, good enough for a working reel. I am going to try and post some pictures of these things.