My findings on welded rings.

Started by gstours, December 02, 2019, 07:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Use SS wire and less solder.  Melt the solder with the hot SS not the torch flame.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

56 is the lowest melting point of high silver brazing filler materiial. Even still you need temps of 1205 f minimum Between 1205-1400.  Brass melts at somewhere around 1600 f. 

gstours

Finding the failed rings as mentioned can be like a mistery, ka 💥 pow,  where did it go?  butt.🚣‍♀️
  The larger lesson could be learned by examining the failure.  Maybe by micro magnifying the subject?
       I will start keeping the failings and not trash them.   Approximately 25% of my test failed rings are recovered.  My testing site is impromptu and many things could be done better 💡
  Below is the same ring by phone picture twice.🧐

gstours

Below is the above average ring tested recently.  I couldn't pull slowly enough to break it by hand 🖐.
    It's still brass rod/ring and fairly easy to do now.  Of course fish don't just pull in a simple controlled manner.   💥.   Butt to test with the baggage scales that records max spring pressure I wanted to keep the testing uniform as much as possible...🎥

gstours

As multiple testing is required shown below is the cheapest way I could show you some details of a process.    Others may be interested?   I just thought it would be helpful to someone.🎣

gstours

Thanks for you advice Lee,  I started with sst wire rings and could not get the solder to flow.  Ive since then obtained several more fluxes as well as silver solders.  I would like to know what flux you use for sst.   also what silver content is your wire/chip solder?   What is your heat source?  These questions might help us all.  ???  Thanks for your help.   gst.

oc1

Quote from: gstours on December 05, 2019, 12:31:12 AM
Finding the failed rings as mentioned can be like a mistery, ka 💥 pow,  where did it go?  butt

Shoot.  I guess I lied when saying the solder would be stronger than the wire.  Please accept my apology. 

If I tried it again I'd wrap a bunch of tape around the rings as they were being broken to try to slow down their flight.
-steve

gstours

Don't be so hasty in judging your self as I cannot yet explain why this ring broke.
    1. Was the maximum test reached for my choice of solder for a butt joint?
    2.   Could the ends of the ring benefit from chamfer increasing the area available for bonding solder?
              (Similar to the best welding practices)
    3.  Is this average in pounds of pull before failure acceptable for my fishing?
    4.   Would a lap joint be stronger and actually easier to make?
    5.   Actually it's me that should apologize as maybe I,m over thinking 🤔 this?
I can't imagine the brass ring breaking at anywhere than at the joint.👿

Below is a lap joint that will be tested soon.   Let's see 🤩

oc1

A lap joint will be much stronger, but you have those two little nubs that need to be smoothed out after.
-steve

gstours

Just in case we could learn something from the spent/failed rings I made a masking tape flag of each one now before testing,  shown below.   These two rings I couldn't break using just my feeble pulling as they measured 80 pounds so I quit to show you.

gstours

Following also is a lap joint testing that as presumed wood test with a higher breaking strength.  After maxing out my 100# scales and jerking as hard as possible it tested me instead!🧜‍♂️

gstours

Next is a newest welded ring I've been waiting to do.  Using a tig rod sst 308 alloy of .062 dia. A ring was bent and using the black flux shown and a 60% silver wire solder I barely had enough heat to melt it.
   I saw the solder flow finally and it looked good.  In my sorta controlled test this ring did not disappoint.
        It's most likely the strongest I've made,  butt I need more heat.   Butt Christmas 🎄 is coming.🤔

David Hall

I believe you are well on the road of success Gary.  I have been looking for a source for some of that SS wire in .062, hadn't thought of tig wire?  I think I have a coil of it coming from somewhere right now.

jurelometer

Quote from: David Hall on December 07, 2019, 06:32:13 PM
I believe you are well on the road of success Gary.  I have been looking for a source for some of that SS wire in .062, hadn't thought of tig wire?  I think I have a coil of it coming from somewhere right now.

I have been using straight 316L TIG welding rod when I want tempered straight wire for my lure making.   I have been web ordering by the lb,  but have read that it can be purchased in smaller quantities if you find a local  welding supply house.  But my favorite  is the soft (annealed) 316L coils.  Easy to bend accurately into the shapes that I want, as it has no springback.  .062  tempered stainless takes a bit of force to bend.   

Don't know which type would be better for soldered rings.  I have seen both mentioned in online tutorials.  Also, 316L might be overkill for the grade.  No reason for the ring to be more corrosion resistant than the hook.

Soldering rings  is something that I don't really need to do but have wanted to try.  I am going to add this to my  project list thanks to you guys.   ( it is all your fault!  :D )

-J

gstours

Thanks for following my post and encouragement.  Thats why I joined the Alans Forum,  Alan is the Best and everybody here is human and civil thanks to the simple rules.  I have learned so much on this site it hard for me to imagine where i would be in this place and time so to speak having not joined and tried to contribute.  Sharing is sharing period.  No politics, we are all different in our experiences and skills and ability's.   Butt knowledge is the one thing that should not be suppressed.    Everyone here has helped in one way or another.
  My offer for a  free sample of the black hi temp flux stand for now.  I have a good shop at home butt am away currently so i,ll not buy a mapp torch while on the road, butt that is mabee it for stainless steel rings for the now.
  Dave and Dave the 308alloy sst tig rod that i just tested was purchased at a common welding supply retail store and several diameters and alloys were available in 3 feet lengths and basically sold each/per pound.   I found flux best on Amazon, and silver hard wire (45%+) on the Ebay sites.  That saying even meself can do ok in Alaska,  order n wait. ;)
  As far as my testing im limited to measuring anything more than 100 pounds pull to verify with my baggage scales.  Whe i,m home i can do come along and a 250# dairy scale.  Butt thats reserved for the stainless steel stuff as mention d before.
     Have a great Sunday.  Rain here. :-*