My findings on welded rings.

Started by gstours, December 02, 2019, 07:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Fishing is kinda funny,  sometimes you wonder why?  Butt once in a while you get lucky and thats when you don,t want your welded ring to fail.  Just saying.   

David Hall

Gary you hit your head right on the nail with those comments.  This site is absolutely unparalleled when it comes to comraderie and sharing. 
I'm starting a couple new entrees to add to my reservoir.  Soldered rings and hand carved stick baits.
Probably never would have have gone there if not for this site.
You people are awesome. I'm amazed you let me hang around this long?

Bryan Young

Gary, something was bothering me about your brazed rings. I didn't realize it until now. I'd say your wire diameter is too small. All my welded rings are sizes such that my line would break before the ring would deform. Deformation of the ring places extra pressure on the joint. What is the diameter of the rings you are using and I'll send you some thicker rings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Quote from: gstours on December 07, 2019, 04:32:32 PM
I barely had enough heat to melt it.
Really nice rings Gary.  The fish are just amazing.

If you suspect your torch is not hot enough then it probably isn't.  Butane and air can only do so much.  MAPP and air is hotter but MAPP has become difficult to find.  Acetylene and air is hotter and many plumbers have it for working copper fittings.  Propane and oxygen is much hotter and perfect for soldering because you can draw either a pin-point or a soft flame.  Acetylene and oxygen is hotter still but would be an over-kill for sure.

A scarf joint may give the strength of a lap joint but look neater without burnishing.  It's easier to grind the diagonal angle on each end before soldering than it is to grind down the nubs after soldering.

For stainless I use bare leader wire because the local tackle shop (Nanko's) has it in many sizes.  It's really handy stuff for springs, pins, and other odd jobs.  The largest sizes must be for megalodon fishing or something.
-steve

Keta

Here is my ring soldering set up.
Butane works with the silver solder I use.

:o
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Great job...

I lost a big Tuna to a welded ring on a new YoZuri hard bait. I only use heavy split rings now.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

Quote from: handi2 on December 08, 2019, 06:14:50 PM
Great job...

I lost a big Tuna to a welded ring on a new YoZuri hard bait. I only use heavy split rings now.

I'd love to get the chance to lose a tuna on a homemade welded ring.

gstours

I must admit that I have had a few failures with my tackle and been spooled to the end of the line several times,  butt i,m new to welded rings and thought it best to come here for some good ideas,  then build some stuff,  test it and share more findings and then take my chances with my quarry.  We all have bought store bought tackle and hopefully assume because we spent a lot on it and its pretty its going to catch fish.     I want to know my homade stuff is tested and that seperates my stuff from the mass produced store stuff.
     Life is short,  go fish. :(

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on December 08, 2019, 11:26:47 PM
Great job...

I'm shooting for a Baja trip in mid June if you want to try.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

June? ouch,  just kidding, ;)  I,ll get back to you.   Have a Great holiday season,  then we can talk.  I,m not getting any younger, butt you are! ;D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on December 09, 2019, 09:17:47 PM
Quote from: David Hall on December 08, 2019, 11:26:47 PM
Great job...

I'm shooting for a Baja trip in mid June if you want to try.  Dominick

Dom,

See if you can swing a Mag Bay trip next year in mid to later Oct. Big tuna? Well...not so much. But, wahoo, dorado, grouper, all the marlin you can handle and some really cool inshore stuff for snook and more. Tuna is a option but not the really large stuff.

It's not Cabo and if your ok with that we should talk. I am looking to do a Mad Bay trip next year. The plan for me is to fly to Loreto and stay at my place in Puerto Escondido, 2 bedroom and 2 bath house in a gated community. Maybe spend the night there then a 2 hour shuttle to Lopez Mateo. There are several outfitters and loges in Mateo. Spend a few days there and fish a couple of them. Back to my place, maybe fish here also, then fly back home.

boon

I respect the ingenuity and reasoning behind it but I couldn't bring myself to use a soldered ring that I produced myself unless I had made and broken 50 of them in a row and had all 50 break far beyond the breaking strain of the line I planned to use. The inconsistency of the process is the problem.

gstours

Thanks for your thoughts mr. Boon.  I do agree with your opinion.  life is short we dont need tackle failures.  Thats why i,m here to learn fro you folks.  the line to me should be the weakest link to the fish.  Butt is this bothering to ask how many people test the store bought stuff much, or ever?   The newby may be quite egar to say at least the gear has been tested with a scale.   I have had split ring failure and generally upsize most of my terminal tackle.  Butt you with rings on the jig or lure may need a minimalmistic hardware approach.
    Thanks for your advise.   Happy New Year. ;)

Donnyboat

Yes your right on Gary, we are all learning from each other, thats why I like to have a lighter leeder to my main line, then the leeder will brake before you loose a full spool of line braid or what ever, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

boon

It would be less of a potential problem if you only caught smaller fish  8). But it looks like you get some monsters up there.

I don't suppose you have a tig welder do you? My fabricator friend occasionally tig welds things in this size bracket. Personally I would be more likely to trust a truly welded ring over a brazed or soldered one.

You're quite right about putting trust in certain bits of equipment. At least if it's commercially bought and it fails I can blame someone else for the loss of the fish. If it's something I made then I only have myself to blame  :D