Bearing rusted to spool shaft

Started by skippy, December 03, 2019, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skippy

I bought a Calcutta 400b off eBay and got some replacement bearings for it as well. Unfortunately, when I went to dismantle the reel, I discovered that the spool shaft is stuck in the bearing under the cast control knob. I'm not too keen on heating the area due to the amount of plastic parts nearby and light hammering hasn't done the trick. I'm applying wd40 for now but was wondering if anyone had any tips?

oc1

Tough one.  After letting it sit with Blaster or Liquid Wrench overnight I'd try tapping it out again.  Remove the AR bearing and heat/warm it as much as you dare.  Don't strike the spool shaft because you'll make it spread and bind even more.  With a small cold chisel give it a few whacks on the inner bearing race.  Hopefully, you'll be able to break the bearing and have the guts fall out.  Then cut the inner race off the shaft with a dremel.  Make two to four slits and tap one piece off at a time.  You may have to cut the outer bearing race out of the head plate too,  Again, slit it and break the pieces out.  I'd give it a 50:50 chance.
-steve

Bryan Young

I use a finishing nail punch (I think that is what it is called. The nail punch had a little crater at the tip of the punch). The punch sits centered on the spool shaft and doesn't flair out the shaft like flat headed punches. I support the side plate as best as possible on a vise with thin wooden pieces to protect the side plate. Then I hold the sideplate and punch with my left had and give it a whack with a plastic tipped hammer or dead hammer (I don't want the hammer to bounce on the punch). Sometimes the spool just drops out and other times the bearing breaks. The inner race would be stuck to the shaft. I then take a vice grip and bite on the inner race and twist the inner race. If that doesn't work, I crank down on the vice grip ever so slightly and the inner race usually crack. The inner race is hardened but often brittle and will crack under pressure. I then mount the spool in a drill press or large, spin the spool, lubricate the spool shaft and clean the rust off the shaft with a fine needle file, wet sand paper of 1000 or more grit or steel wool.

Good luck. I hate those pesky rusted bearing but one you get them off, you will be so happy with your accomplishment!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

A long-shot, if you can't apply heat would be freezing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

without torching it, you may be able to localize the heat on the shaft end with a soldering iron- you can use cold wet paper towels on the plastic as a heat sink as well.

Bill B

A good penetrating solution is 50/50 acetone and transmission fluid.  You have some good options from the guys above.  I would go with the 50/50 mix and the punch as Bryan described.  Best to not get in a hurry.  Ive had good luck with alternating heat and cold plus the 50/50.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

You will eventually have to tap it out. I just hope you can do so without damaging the side plate.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Some good advice there Bill is also correct, dont hurry, give it plenty of time, the 50/50 mix is the best, but the acetone does evaporate, so keep adding a little, some heat with the heat gun, or soldering iron could help, with out damaging anything else, good luck, keep us informed on your progress, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

akfish

I had the same problem a few years ago. I soaked the stuck bearing with PB Blaster, and braced the reel so that the bearing was on top and gravity would help the blaster soak in. Then several times a day for something like a week, I tapped the reel slightly to help the Blaster soak in, and reapplied Blaster as I deemed appropriate. It worked -- but it did take a week.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

skippy

I appreciate all the tips, I'm soaking it in pb blaster now as I didn't want to go buy acetone and tranny fluid for this one project. I'll try tapping it out again today or tomorrow and I'll update as I go 👍

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

skippy

No luck yet but I have plenty of time. It's still soaking and I'll try tapping it out again tomorrow 👍

Keta

When/if  you have to "beat" the bearing out back up the side pate so it is not damaged.  Is it the AR bearing?  I have a AR bearing pusher I could loan you or I can push it out for you if you want to mail the sideplate to me.  You cam make a bearing pusher with 2 sockets, 2 flat washers a nut and a bolt.  I will try to find and photo the pusher I made and put together one with sockets and post the photos today.

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 04, 2019, 09:30:40 AM
I use a finishing nail punch (I think that is what it is called.

They are called a "nail set" Bryan.

https://www.lifeandhome.com/products/stanley-58-230-nail-set-3-piece?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LaH_Bing&utm_term=4580909040278930&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on December 04, 2019, 09:10:49 PM
A good penetrating solution is 50/50 acetone and transmission fluid.  

50/50 acetone/ATF Does not play well with plastic though.  As long as no plastic is on the side plate acetone/ATF works well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

skippy

After soaking and tapping the spool I don't know how many times, I decided to just buy another in better shape as I got zero movement on the bearing 😒

Donnyboat

Hi Skippy, what part of the world is that reel situated, I am sure there is plenty of fisho`s, that would be glad to help you with it, if you can get a thin soldering iron on the shaft, or the bearing, may just help to free it, if not just keep at it , take your time, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat