The Sterling 7025

Started by mo65, December 04, 2019, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This reel is a bit of an anomaly. It's the only reel in the Sterling series to have the older Omega series body shape and rear drag. It actually looks and feels like a lighter version of the Omega 940XL. There was even a rumor circulating that Zebco had made these reels from Omega 915 parts. The 915 was a model that, like the large 970, never transpired.
  This catalog page from '82 shows the new Sterling reels. Note that handle knob on the 7025. I thought my reel was missing the Zebco insert all the others have...I guess not. Also looking closely, you'll see the line roller looks different than the other models. Let's dive in!

Some points of interest are the crankshaft bushings(red arrows) and the oscillator slide retainer.(circled in blue) I find it interesting that every reel I own with these nylon bushings cranks with a "fluid" feel. That little retainer beats the hell out of using c-clips to hold the oscillator slide...much easier to work with.

Looking a bit closer, I see the right side bushing isn't nylon at all, it's brass! Hmm...left side nylon...right side brass...almost sounds like a Twix commercial. :D

Here are the pinion/bearing/anti-reverse parts. That AR ratchet(purple arrow) is a heavy steel item, probably needed to handle the stress of the "self centering bail". It can build up some big momentum spinning backward before it catches. I'm not a huge fan of the self centering bail, but, I haven't seen one fail yet either.

The drag stack looks unused. Not much to do here other than keeping the order correct. The friction washers are some type of nylon or rulon. The drag isn't super strong, but is very smooth, perfect for a light action reel.

When I pulled the spool off I found a wad of mono wound around the spool shaft.

The spool cleaned up very well, and the bail snaps sharply. The line roller is some type of ceramic on this model, while the others in this series appear to be chromed brass or steel. This line roller spins great.

I don't think I even noticed how mint this reel was until I placed the pieces for a photo...she's clean!

If you like the Omega series reels but want a lighter version...this Sterling 7025 is your reel. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Thanks for the look inside, Mo.  Good solidly built reel and l like that a/r setup.

foakes

Thanks, Mike!

Those are solid reels!

I have worked on some similar Zebcos -- but not that model.

Excellent work...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice look inside, Mike.

I went through mine a couple of years ago when I did the Omegas but I didn't post a tutorial.

They're surprisingly a smooth operating Lite size reel and most have held up well. Those were made in Japan but Zebco
also had "Made in the USA" 755 & 715 Sterlings with that same rear drag. Good luck finding one, though, because they were a very limited run just prior to Zebco moving production to Japan. The 715 is an ultra-lite. Ben Wright and I were doing in depth research on the Sterling series just prior to his getting sick and finally passing. Information on their production was, and still is, difficult to find.
The 755 & 715:

The next page in that Zebco catalog is the gold 6000 Series, which is basically the same reel as the other blue-graySterling models.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Thanks for sharing the info Tom, you're right, information on the Sterling line is hard to find. The very next year they vanished and the catalog had the 6000s at the top, then introduced the 5000s and 4000s.

foakes

I should have schematics in some of my old Zebco Shop manuals.

The 6000 Gold Series is an excellent line of reels.

About the only thing I can ever recall doing to these during a service would be a couple of bail springs, new drags, and one had a howling main bearing.

Other than that, they are a bulletproof metal, skirted spool, quality reel.

Sterlings are very similar, if not identical.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on December 04, 2019, 07:11:53 PM

I found the 7025 schematic here:

https://www.reelschematic.com/#gsc.tab=0

That place has a ton of schematics.

I have a 6010 I'm going to open one of these days. 8)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Good read on some nice lookin' reels.

Frank

philaroman

unused drag & line wrapped under the spool...

weekend warrior lost his first battle & surrendered?

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on December 05, 2019, 06:36:26 AM

That's too Funny.
-steve

thorhammer

About the only thing I can ever recall doing to these during a service would be a couple of bail springs, new drags, and one had a howling main bearing.

Other than that, they are a bulletproof metal, skirted spool, quality reel.

Sterlings are very similar, if not identical.

Fred, I guess technically it wasn't a service, in that they may be bulletproof but not-my-friend's rear wheel-over it-proof :) , but our first interaction was when you rebuilt my 6050 with new shaft and handle thusly. My first saltwater-size spinner, gifted from my pops.

PS, I need a 6010 bail spring if you have one to sell, lol.

Best,

Fred

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on December 05, 2019, 06:36:26 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking as I untangled it! :D

Thanks everyone for the compliments! 8)