Daiwa 70X, a look inside an ultralight spinner

Started by festus, December 04, 2019, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Lately I've discovered some of the smaller Daiwa silver spinners, the 500C, 1000C, and 1300C.  Checked for a 700C and they're priced outrageous on ebay--67 bucks for a used one, and $190 plus shipping for a NIB.   :o ???

In the meantime, the Daiwa 70X is an economical version of the 700C and can be found for a fraction of the price.

Removing handle by turning clockwise.

Removing the spool.

Removing the cover plate.

First look inside.  There is the familiar oscillating slider with the loop.

Removing the oscillating slider pin allows removal of the axle and removal of the oscillating slider.

Removing the three drive gear washers.

Removing the drive gear.

Removal of the U-shaped pinion retainer allows removal of the rotor.  These entry level Daiwas from back in the day had the pinion gear built onto the rotor.

A look at the bottom of the rotor.

A look at the top of the rotor.

From the looks inside of this reel, it appeared to may have been serviced at one time by someone who didn't know what they were doing.  Very little grease in there but lots of old runny black oil.  I wouldn't doubt somebody wiped most of the grease out of it then applied oil instead of grease.  It was running rough straight out of the box and definitely needed serviced.

It cleaned up very easily, however.  Only 3 washers in the drag assembly.

Reattaching the rotor.

Reinserting the drive gear.

Reinserting the oscillating slider.....

.....and pin.

To save time and disk space, I didn't take pics of the entire reassembly.

You can see the weight, 6.84 oz, so this 70X is definitely considered an ultralight.  Of course it isn't as smooth as the 500C and 1000C, I imagine the lack of ball bearing and the pinion built into the rotor contribute to that.  Retrieve ratio seems to be a tad below 4:1.  This one is made in Korea. Line capacity listed on the spool is 110 yds of 4 lb. mono and 90 yds of 6 lb. mono.  4 lb. mono would be ideal.

festus

Schematic.

mo65

That one was plum full of black gold...Texas tea! It's odd how the smaller numbered "X" series reels have a more budget build than the "C" reels, yet the larger number models are an improved build. I seem to remember a 70XX that has a separate pinion with a bushing. Your collection is growing Chester, thanks for all the posts about the various models, the photos and info are very helpful. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. Keep up the good work. You've been showing me the innards & workings of reels I probably never would have seen.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

Quote from: festus on December 04, 2019, 10:50:31 PMLately I've discovered some of the smaller Daiwa silver spinners, the 500C, 1000C, and 1300C.  Checked for a 700C and they're priced outrageous on ebay--67 bucks for a used one, and $190 plus shipping for a NIB.   :o ???

I have a 70RL and it appears to be the same as your 70X. Unfortunately, it is not very smooth and it will "hang up" slightly during a slow retrieve. Did yours get smooth after the tune-up?

Also, does your spool sit solidly? Mine tends to wobble, not sure if I have a defective spool.

The reel does have some impressive qualities for a budget model though, like a very solid anti-reverse and the screw-in handle.

Thanks for the write-up!

festus

Quote from: nelz on December 05, 2019, 05:49:52 AM
Quote from: festus on December 04, 2019, 10:50:31 PMLately I've discovered some of the smaller Daiwa silver spinners, the 500C, 1000C, and 1300C.  Checked for a 700C and they're priced outrageous on ebay--67 bucks for a used one, and $190 plus shipping for a NIB.   :o ???

I have a 70RL and it appears to be the same as your 70X. Unfortunately, it is not very smooth and it will "hang up" slightly during a slow retrieve. Did yours get smooth after the tune-up?

Also, does your spool sit solidly? Mine tends to wobble, not sure if I have a defective spool.

The reel does have some impressive qualities for a budget model though, like a very solid anti-reverse and the screw-in handle.

Thanks for the write-up!
Before I serviced it, yes, it would hang up a little but after I got it back together it's fine, no rotor wobble either.

nelz

Thanks Festus, but actually it's not the rotor that wobbles, it's the spool. If it's not too much hassle, could you post a pic of the underside of your spool?

foakes

Sometimes it just needs a service -- and another, perhaps thicker, or newer under-spool washer.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: nelz on December 06, 2019, 12:13:50 AM
Thanks Festus, but actually it's not the rotor that wobbles, it's the spool. If it's not too much hassle, could you post a pic of the underside of your spool?
Here you go, nelz.  Mine is missing the spool click spring and pawl assembly.

nelz

Thanks man! Yeah, it looks like mine is missing what appears to be a pressed in sleeve in the spool's hole so it doesn't grip the shaft snugly and wobbles.

Was your clicker missing or did you remove it?

festus

Quote from: nelz on December 06, 2019, 02:41:59 AM
Thanks man! Yeah, it looks like mine is missing what appears to be a pressed in sleeve in the spool's hole so it doesn't grip the shaft snugly and wobbles.

Was your clicker missing or did you remove it?
Mine was missing.  I checked some of my other Daiwas and they have the same setup.  I'll eventually find a donor reel hopefully and replace those 3 missing pieces.

philaroman

not sure, but maybe the oldest Japan-made Spinmatics were similar platform "suped-up"
(completely different from modern outsourced plastic Spinmatic)
could only find rear-drags on eBay:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/Sporting-Goods/888/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=DAIWA+SPINMATIC

nelz

Quote from: festus on December 06, 2019, 03:06:20 AMMine was missing.  I checked some of my other Daiwas and they have the same setup.  I'll eventually find a donor reel hopefully and replace those 3 missing pieces

I removed mine, you can have them if you'd like. PM me your address and I'll send them out to you.

ClintB

Thanks for doing that!

I really like the vintage Diawa's, I've been fishing a mini mite for more years then I can remember.