Daiwa 70X, a look inside an ultralight spinner

Started by festus, December 04, 2019, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: ClintB on December 06, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
Thanks for doing that!

I really like the vintage Diawa's, I've been fishing a mini mite for more years then I can remember.

Clint, I see you have one of the Daiwa 7250.  I just finished a tutorial on one of those.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30000.0

nelz

Hey Chester, the clicker parts are in the mail, but you'll just need the little c-clip to hold it all in place.

festus

Quote from: nelz on December 11, 2019, 02:45:10 PM
Hey Chester, the clicker parts are in the mail, but you'll just need the little c-clip to hold it all in place.
Thanks, I may have one laying around that will work.  If not, surely the hardware store has one that'll fit.

ClintB

[/quote]Clint, I see you have one of the Daiwa 7250.  I just finished a tutorial on one of those.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30000.0
[/quote]

I've got 3-4 of those, good solid old reels. I saw the tutorial on that one, AWSOME!

oc1

Quote from: ClintB on December 06, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
I've been fishing a mini mite for more years then I can remember.

Shimano's attempt for comparison.  I think the Shimano is later.  The Shimano has a graphite frame with a bit of flex in the stand.  The Shimano is canted more for modern guide placement.  The Diawa has slightly more line capacity.

Reel, line and 10 ft Chinese 4 wt graphite rod.  Includes almost three ounces of lead in the butt cap for counterweight.

-steve

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

wailua boy

That is a interesting wrap Steve, great idea. Out of curiosity is that last one made from lau hala?

philaroman

sweet combo

been tinkering w/ the 3-bearing version (Spirex 500) -- hate the 2-stack drag & line roller

getting close to figuring out how to jam a tiny 6-stack and a huge bearing inside that little spool;

upgrade to "clicky" drag knob; and solid SiC roller...

so far, it looks like I'll be using Chinese Abu, Okuma and Pflueger parts, but the list may grow, LOL

oc1

I'm not of a spinner guy.  But the fish are really scarce and I'm desperate.  I finally found a few but they are hold up in a really gnarly area that is full of live branching coral with a few scattered pockets of the smoother coral rubble where the fish feed.  With the usual 3/8 or 1/4 ounce jig almost every casts ends with me paddling over to free the jig snagged on the bottom and chasing off the fish.  A 1/8 ounce jig will settle to the bottom more gently and jump almost straight up when the rod is twitched so it snags less often.  But, the casting distance drops from about 135 feet to about 90 feet.  Since my sphere of influence is about 40 feet, that leaves a pretty small donut where it's possible to get a bite.

The usual dogma is that you have to switch from convention baitcasting to a spinning outfit when the lure feels too light to cast.  Maybe the Mini Mite is not the right spinner for the job.  I don't know about that stuff.

By chance, I have a slightly modified Langley Target on a casting rod built on a blank identical to the spinning rod above.  The only difference is the rod guides.

The Langley has 100 yards of 20# Power Pro.  The Diawa has 100 yards of 10# Power Pro because the larger line would not fit.

Here's where it gets weird.  The Langley has magnets and it was originally tuned to cast thumb-free with a 1/4 ounce jig.  With a lighter 1/8 ounce jig it would backlash in the worst way and I had to add a lot more magnets to cast it.  I have never understood why you need more magnet braking for a lighter lure weight.  I wish someone could explain it.

Here's the other weird thing.... they cast almost the same distance.  The Diawa spinner would throw groupings at 94.5 feet.  The Langley groupings centered around 92 feet.  It's not supposed to work that way and I don't understand it.  The spinner does not seem to be slapping the guides too bad.  Maybe I need a reel with a larger diameter spool or something?  I'm not putting up with this thing for a measly extra two-and-a-half feet.
-steve

Oh, sorry Chester.  I got off the track.  Never mind.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 12, 2019, 07:16:42 AM
 I have never understood why you need more magnet braking for a lighter lure weight.  I wish someone could explain it.

I think what happens is the smaller lure has less inertia, and stops pulling line faster than the heavier bait, allowing the spool to out run it.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on December 12, 2019, 02:39:27 PM
 I think what happens is the smaller lure has less inertia, and stops pulling line faster than the heavier bait, allowing the spool to out run it.

That makes sense.  Thank you.
-steve

festus

Quote from: nelz on December 11, 2019, 02:45:10 PM
Thanks, Nelz, got them out of the mailbox earlier.  I didn't have a c-clip that would work but found one at Ace Hardware.  The reel is fully functional now thanks to you. 

BTW, I like this 70X even better than the 500C or 1000C, not only because of the internal bail assembly but also the size is perfect. And these can be found at a fraction of the price of the other two.

philaroman

OK, so all this love & internal bail made me take a closer look...

the brass-sleeved, direct-drive main looks kinda' cool, BUT

is that a pot-metal [PINION  ???   :o   :'(

nelz

Quote from: festus on December 12, 2019, 07:40:40 PMThanks, Nelz, got them out of the mailbox earlier.  I didn't have a c-clip that would work but found one at Ace Hardware.  The reel is fully functional now thanks to you.

Wow, that was fast! Glad to help, heck, enough folks here have done as much and more for me.  :)