Pic test

Started by ClintB, December 06, 2019, 05:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

DAM Quick 280

Seems to have worked.

1956-1958?

Midway Tommy

It looks like the side plate is crinkle paint, so, if all parts are original to the reel I'm thinking '58/'59ish. Does it say Made in Germany, or West Germany on the foot and, also, does it have a serial number on the foot?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ClintB

It says made in Germany with no number on the foot. The side plates are smooth black paint.

foakes

It isn't a hard, fast science -- DAM would use up parts from previous years --

Reels might sit in tackle shops for a couple of years before being sold.

There are some variations as well as transitions in the 280's due to 4 versions plus.

I am with Tommy -- 56/58 -- possibly one year newer -- but it is an accurate date within 2 years.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ClintB

The guy that owned it in 1964 wrote a letter to the DAM company. In the box with other paperwork is a letter from the company and 2 lists of repair locations east and west. The letter appears to be signed by the owner, Hellmuth Kuntze.

ClintB

Along with the box, papers, extra spool and users guide, there is a black plastic cover of some type. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. It doesn't really go with the reel or spools.

foakes

That is the plastic lid for the container that holds the spare spool.

They get discarded or broken easily over 6 decades of being stored.

Looks like your's is gone.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: ClintB on December 06, 2019, 04:48:40 PM
The guy that owned it in 1964 wrote a letter to the DAM company. In the box with other paperwork is a letter from the company and 2 lists of repair locations east and west. The letter appears to be signed by the owner, Hellmuth Kuntze.

Don't lose track of that letter! To the right person it may be worth as much or more than many of the DAM reels!  :o

Here's a little DAM history snippet:

"Founded in 1875, D.A.M from Germany is one of the oldest fishing tackle brands. D.A.M is also famous for QUICK, EFFZETT, MADCAT, MAD, DAMYL and TECTAN. The ironmongery, sport and fishing-tackle business begun in 1875 by the brothers Oskar and Fritz Ziegenspeck soon began to produce its own brandof fishingtackles, and in 1902 it began its assault on the European market under the name "German fishing equipment manufacturers" the initials of which in German are D.A.M.

In 1909, just as Fritz Ziegenspeck was retiring, Otto Kuntze joined the company which at that time already had extensive business connections in England, France, America, Russia and Japan. With great skill Otto Kuntze succeeded not only in bringing the company successfully through the First World War but together with the help of his son Hellmuth, he expanded the business.

Already 1937 saw the production of the "Pocket Catalogue for Everyman", and together with the production of the first fixed-spool "Quick" reel and the world innovation that was Damyl line (both existing brand names today ) D.A.M began to set the international standard.

In the late 30s production and sales were so high that a subsidiary group was established in Hollfeld/Bavaria, that later moved to Gunzenhausen where it was expanded. At this time D.A.M. employed over 350 workers. This phase of expansion was interrupted by the Second World War. Otto Kuntze did not see the destruction of the company headquarters in 1945 as he died in 1943.

Hellmuth Kuntze led the new beginning and the re-building of D.A.M. in the post-war years. With incredible industry and initiative and in the face of political, technical and economic difficulties, the firm was re-established in Berlin.

On November 11th 1955 the opening of a new modern factory in Gunzenhausen was celebrated. This is the D.A.M headquarter. A boom period followed that nobody in the war years could have foreseen. Hellmuth Kuntze died however in 1967 following a long period of illness. The sons Lutz and Rupert Kuntze continued their fathers work in the business and achieved that today D.A.M. has an important market share in a lot of countries and kept its excellent reputation for quality and well-known brands."
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ClintB

I like the history that goes along with that letter. I even found a repair shop in my home town that has been out of business for many decades.

Thanks for the info! I found a page by a gentleman from the Netherlands that has some good information as well.

happyhooker

Yeah, that Dutch site has some good info.

Frank