140/145/146 squidder

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: Panama on March 07, 2012, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: broschro on March 06, 2012, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2012, 05:10:20 PM
the star should have an under cut, so it should still work.
looks good can i put a longer sleeve in to get more out of drags ? in need of aluminum  spool for the 140
I have a chrome spool.  Let me know if you want it ..... Free!
Awesome i sent you a pm with my location

Brendan

I Recently went through a 140 and completed the typical service including greased carbontex drag washers. got it to free spool light years better but the drag is horrible. It tightens up quickly and feels almost as if something is bent by how jerky it is. Checked it a couple of times and seems together correctly. Thanks in advance, Brendan.

alantani

you mean like a spool binding up against the frame?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Brendan, when you replaced the fiber washers, did you replace the metal washers as well? If you have the older brass washers, see if they're bent. usually these reels don't give you much travel with the star, but definitely better than what you're explaning. If you're looking for more, you'll need to shave 1/16 off the sleeve, taking that everything else is ok. Make sure your star has the under cut.
On my reels I like the star to be a little larger, I go from  the 10 -140 to the 10 - 49 .
Here is a shot:

The 10-140

The 10-49

If you didn't want to grind the sleeve, you could get one here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx
I would go with the 9-60450.
Good luck!
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brendan

Yes, spool appears to have a light wobble, yes to new metal washers & star has recess on the back. I will give it another go later today. Thanks Alan & Sal for the insight. Nice Gold one too. Brendan.

SoCalPaddle

I am going to be rehabbing an older 146 soon and am considering replacing the left side inner and outer rings (key 28 and 28a).  After soaking them in vinegar they shine like new but have probably 20 to 25% of the chrome missing.  Is it possible to keep them from getting worse (i.e. more chrome loss) with just regular and frequent maintenance or would it be better to simply replace them (trying to weigh the cost/benefit of starting from a clean slate or fighting the existing corrosion)?  Would a wipe down with something like ReelX will be sufficient maintenance on the existing slightly corroded rings and keep them from getting worse or is it a losing battle?  Also, when reassembling the reel and putting the rings back onto the side plate, is it okay/recommended to put a thin layer of grease or ReelX on the inside of the rings to help with corrosion prevention?  Or is this detrimental in any way?

Thanks!!

alantani

get some new rings....   :-\

SoCalPaddle

Okie dokie, that settles it.   :)  Thanks!!

doradoben

What is the reason for using a 6-113 washer under the main gear instead of a 6-155 or 6-60? I looked at MysticParts and the 5-155 looked like the smallest o.d. This seemed like the least likely to interfere with the dog. Am I correct in guessing that any one of these washers choices under the gear wouldn't have a significant drag advantage over the others?

Excellent tutorial. Thanks..

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Ron Jones

I have used the 155 washer under the gear on smaller reels with no issues. In fact, I think it keeps any excess material from interfering with the dog and ratchet or anything else in there. Alan is God, so if it is what he recomends I'm certain he has his reasons.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: noyb72 on May 29, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
I have used the 155 washer under the gear on smaller reels with no issues. In fact, I think it keeps any excess material from interfering with the dog and ratchet or anything else in there. ......

Ron

Yup. The smallest friction surface is the top of the gear sleeve above the dog notches, so I use the smallest O.D. CF washer that will fit over the gear sleeve.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

yelloweye

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 20, 2013, 03:51:28 AM
Make sure your star has the under cut.
On my reels I like the star to be a little larger, I go from  the 10 -140 to the 10 - 49 .

Sal or anyone else,

I was looking at the 10-49LH star on Scotts, and they don't show the under cut.  I asked them if it had it, and they said it would not fit the 140 gear sleeve.  They said the threads were different.  Does anyone know for sure if the 10-49LH will or will not fit a 140LH gear sleeve?  If the right hand 10-49 star fits on the right hand 98-60 sleeve, why wouldn't it work for the left hand models?

Thanks.

doradoben

Noby72 & Norcal.. Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, that's why I asked. Unless it has to do with the thickness of 6-113.

alantani

i wish that we could use the #6-155 drag washer under the main gear, because it's alot cheaper.  i had pulled some of my early reels apart and found the #6-155 badly squished.  that's why i switched to the thicker #6-113, but it created spacing problems because it was too thick.  then smoothdrag came to the rescue with a better quality carbon fiber drag that had a tighter weave.  it was as thin as the #6-155 but did not compress.

Norcal Pescador

Good info. Thanks Alan. Is the washer the #5 Carbontex (same size as the 6-155)?

I need to place an order with Dawn anyway...... :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD