Shimano TTS 30 Puzzled

Started by 43eggharbor, December 07, 2019, 10:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

43eggharbor

Maybe someone can shed some light on this question.
I have ten TTS 50W's, two TTS 50's, eight TTS 30's. The two 50's and one 50W I bought new somewhere in the 1980's, the rest I traded or bought used.
I just took stripped one of the 30's down to replace the drag, and outside of the drag, it is immaculate inside.
Well, see the pictures - I can't figure out why, or what the thin cork washer is doing in this reel. I opened up two 50W's and neither has this in it. Can't find this part on the parts diagrams.
Possibly someone took it apart and added the thin cork washer for some reason? Any ideas?
I reassembled and reel works fine - before I spool and field test it I'm wondering what am I missing?
I'll fish a mud puddle if it's all I can find!

alantani

it looks more like felt.  perhaps someone added it to absorb water.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Idunno either, but i noticed that it fits very well. So well that it doesn't seem to be made by an amateur hack. So it didn't get there by accident.
In function it would reduce the amount of play when the drag pops into freespool, and maybe make a semi-sealing gasket. Whatever. If it works, it works. Just leave it in there. Really, i would be interested in opening up some more of the 30s and see if it is in all of them.

EDIT:
Oh wait, maybe i shouldve looked at the pictures better. Maybe it fits on OUTSiDE the drag cover?? Well, whatever... see if the others have it anyway

alantani

where is your carbon fiber drag washer?

43eggharbor

Dawn doesn't carry the drag washers for the TTS 30's and 50's.
I still have 5 new original drag washers for the 30 and 50 that I bought a while ago. I did get the carbon fiber drag washers for my Charter Specials, Penn 49's and Ambassadeur 5500 2-speed's.

She carries the Carbontex for the Beastmaster 30/50 and 50/80, but not the 80/130. I have two of the 30/50's; two of the 50/80's and one 80/130.
I read the threads about replacing the drags and silicone rings and planning to tackle one during Christmas. I'll see how it goes!

43eggharbor

I did take another 30 down and it does not have it. I reassembled the reel without it.
The 50 and 50W doesn't have it either.
Alan may be right in that it could be felt rather that cork.

alantani

Quote from: 43eggharbor on January 19, 2020, 09:37:58 PM
This concerns Serial #TT30-44185
As a followup to my post "Shimano TTS 30 Puzzled", I finally got to the bottom of why the one TTS 30 had the felt spacer on only this one of my TTS 30's.
The spacer as shown in the pictures on my original post (titled "Shimano TTS 30 Puzzled") shows a felt spacer on top of the pressure plate. None of my other TTS 30's or TTS 50's have it, so after totally cleaning and reassemble without the spacer, the reel would not work. I disassembled, replaced the felt ring, reassembled and it worked fine.

Since no schematic showed this part, I decided to find out why. After disassembling again I checked every step carefully, counting every washer and even changing direction of the washers, with the same result. Made me crazy!

So, I decided to then check the thickness of every bearing, washer, spring, shaft, etc - using my digital caliper found all were the same as my other reels.
BUT THEN FOUND THIS:
Thickness of the Pressure Plate on the reel with the felt ring is 3.425mm. (Serial #TT30 44185)
Thickness of the Pressure Plates on two of my other 30's caliper at 4.475mm to 4.460mm. (Serial # TT30-16411)
By adding the felt ring to the first Pressure Plate it then calipers at 4.490mm.

The pressure plates are both Shimano factory plates, and I never would have thought there would be difference. The felt disk is perfectly cut, so it must also be Shimano factory. Well, I left the felt disk in and the reel works, and I now can once again sleep at night!

alantani

when i looked at the very first photo, i thought that there was a metal pressure plate in the spool.  it must be a white canvas drag washer.  now it makes sense!