BV2-400 clamp mods

Started by Chad D., December 08, 2019, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad D.

Hi all!   I've got a little issue, but I'm sure it can be remedied. 

I have an Accurate BV2-400 spooled you and ready to go.  I've also got a new Seeker 6465H being built that I'd like to use the BV2-400 with for a 40# San Diego rod.   One little issue...

The reel is super skinny, but the rod is a fatty.   The reel seat will be a 23mm Alps Centra-lock, which has an OD wider than the barreled nuts for the reel clamp.  Sure, I can use a dremel to carve out two notches in the seat, and this is not offensive to me...   It's a tool.  Not art.   My question is: has anyone else fought this issue with a smaller Accurate?   How did you fix it?

I could run without the clamp if needed, but prefer to use it. 

Cor

I guess you could do so, on condition it does not touch the graphite.
There may be some other modification, bent bolts or something....I am sure someone will have a plan.

Good luck
Cornelis

alantani

Quote from: Chad D. on December 08, 2019, 07:40:58 AM

chad, welcome!!!!  seen this alot.  just go without a clamp.  you'll be fine.  just make sure the reel seat screws are tight. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chad D.

Thanks for the replies fellas.  Running bottomless is certainly an option.  I'd be a little concerned with a cheesy reel seat, but these Alps appear to be pretty legit.   Can certainly get a good tight connection with the doubles up locking nuts...   

Do the studs on the BV2-400 just unscrew from the bottom of the reel?   Would be nice if it did t need to come apart...   There are wrench flats on the studs, but I haven't messed with 'em. 

alantani

yeah, a crescent wrench works fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

You should be fine with no clamp. Try a small rubber strap wrench like for oil filters to snug the back nut on the reel seat
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I keep a rubber strap wrench in my reel bag for loosening the clamp nuts if they lock up.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

Quote from: Swami805 on December 09, 2019, 01:21:43 PM
You should be fine with no clamp. Try a small rubber strap wrench like for oil filters to snug the back nut on the reel seat
I forgot to say that, Here you never see anyone using a reel clamp, so I agree!
Cornelis

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2019, 03:39:05 PM
Quote from: Chad D. on December 08, 2019, 07:40:58 AM

chad, welcome!!!!  seen this alot.  just go without a clamp.  you'll be fine.  just make sure the reel seat screws are tight. 

I like this idea up to a certain lb test. 40 lb toppers and less you should be fine, but if you plan to run 50 lb or more topshots this may, and mean may become a issue later. You can pull really hard on 50 lb test and above. Alps are very good reelseats and I don't see a issue there, my concern would be with the reels foot after many prolonged fights where 50 lb or higher is needed. Maybe not right out of the box but after several years of use I'd like a clamp if fishing 50 lb or higher test.

Sorry to say this but before you were having that rod being built you might have looked at skinnier blanks like Unties Composites and others.