Fenwick FS 53 broken line guide

Started by ClintB, December 08, 2019, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

I've had this rod for 43 yrs and I still use it to this day. I had an extremely unusual day fishing, I ended up fighting and landing 2 steelhead in a side pond fed by the Clackamus River. I broke the 2nd line guide but did a temp fix but can not find a replacement guide. My only contact I have wants to replace all the guides with modern guides but I'm not into that.
Does anyone have contacts or info that I can use to get this great little rod back to it's former glory?

ReelFishingProblems

Clint,

Do you have a picture of the guide type in question?

I grew up in LO, my family is mostly from Oregon City and West Linn.

Nick

ClintB

I'd like to find somebody that has a guide and can do the replacement.

happyhooker

That guide looks like an old Aetna "Foulproof"; they aren't made anymore as far as I know, but you occasionally see them available as NOS.  There is another outfit whose name escapes me that is currently offering a similar-type guide; I will dig up the name if someone checks the online components sellers & can't locate what I'm talking about.

Frank

oc1

I just might have one of those if you tell me the diameter of he ring part of the guide.  No promises.

Come on Clint. It's time you learned to wrap on a guide.   :)

-steve

ClintB

Quote from: oc1 on December 09, 2019, 04:24:20 AM

-steve

LOL! My Dad built a fly rod for me years ago and was going to teach me, I should have taken him up on it while he was still here. I'll get the measurement tomorrow and post it up. Thanks!

ReelFishingProblems

Clint,

You can easily wrap a new guide.
I would gladly do it for you if I was still local, but I am currently in Tampa getting ready to move to DC in a few weeks.

Nick

Swami805

I have some of those guides, post the size and I'll check
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ClintB

The outside diameter of the ring is 3/4". It stands 1" tall measured from the rod surface. The length is 2 1/4" from foot tip to foot tip as best I can tell. I've been trying to hunt one done locally but no luck.

Dominick

Quote from: ClintB on December 09, 2019, 04:59:26 AM
Quote from: oc1 on December 09, 2019, 04:24:20 AM

-steve

LOL! My Dad built a fly rod for me years ago and was going to teach me, I should have taken him up on it while he was still here. I'll get the measurement tomorrow and post it up. Thanks!

Clint, check out Kevin's videos on Youtube under the name The Fishing Hobby.  He explains how to wrap a guide on.  He does a good job explaining how to do it.  Easy peezy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ClintB

I'll definitely check it out. Thanks  Dominick!

Midway Tommy

FWIW, Fenwick used Gudebrod NCP #541 medium brown size A for those wraps. You may be able to remove the brown thread & save the trim wraps so you don't have to buy two colors and screw around with them. Gudebrod 541 is easy to find.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 09, 2019, 09:47:16 PM
FWIW, Fenwick used Gudebrod NCP #541 medium brown size A for those wraps.

Seriously.... How do you guys know this stuff!?!?!?  :o
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Quote from: xjchad on December 09, 2019, 09:59:22 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 09, 2019, 09:47:16 PM
FWIW, Fenwick used Gudebrod NCP #541 medium brown size A for those wraps.

Seriously.... How do you guys know this stuff!?!?!?  :o

I know it because Cabela's, originated right here in my home state, used to sell Fenwick blanks & kits and when you purchased a kit with guides, handle, thread, glue, etc. the thread in the kit was Gudebrod NCP #541 medium brown size A, and, #541 medium brown, for many years, has had an AKA of "Fenwick Brown". Plus, they were owned by Berkley/Pure Fishing right next door in Spirit Lake, IA at one point and a lot of folks have researched re-wrapping Fenwick brown blanks and shared their findings.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Well thank you for sharing too Tommy!
Husband, Father, Fisherman