Fenwick FS 53 broken line guide

Started by ClintB, December 08, 2019, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

If one of these will work pm me your address. The smaller one they call 5/8" I also have some gudebrod 541 but only in size C   That shade of brown changed a little of the years so it may not match perfectly. Likely have the trim color too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

I just luv this site - where else can you find this knowledge - priceless ;D

ClintB

That smaller one looks like a good fit, PM coming your way.

The Fishing Hobby

I may have one too. I save old guides off of rebuilds. I have some that look exactly the same on a couple of the very old Shakespeare Uglystik ultralight rods (so old they also said "Wondered"). Looking at old rods for sale would be another way to possibly find a guide. If the one you get isn't a good match, let me know and I'll check what I have stashed away.

The Fishing Hobby

I make and sell a jig for wrapping rod guides on, but if this is a one time repair and rod building/rebuilding isn't something that you are interested in, then a cardboard box jig would work for you. I show how to make a pretty good one here:

The Fishing Hobby

You would want to use varnish instead of epoxy as your wrap finish to more closely match the original work on the rod. I've had good results with Helmsman Spar Urethane.

ClintB

WOW! That is exactly the info I need. Sheridan has already sent out the guide so it should arrive in a couple of days.

Thanks for the great info TFH!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: ClintB on December 11, 2019, 05:09:22 PM
WOW! That is exactly the info I need. Sheridan has already sent out the guide so it should arrive in a couple of days.

Thanks for the great info TFH!
Glad to help! Here is a tutorial for wrapping a guide on:

ClintB

It's been almost exactly one year since I posted this, I did finally get it repaired by a local shop! Thanks Sheridan!