Squidder anti free spool mod idea

Started by Farmer Mike, December 09, 2019, 02:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

Has anyone come up with a substitute for the switch that turns the squidders into knuckle busters (lever #21C).  Seems like a semicircular disk with the same tab as the switch that could be substituted for the lever.  I'm thinking about the size of half a dime with nicely rounded edges. Should not be too challenging for a skilled machinist.

Looking at the part you could superimpose the on and off position to template the piece then cut the hole for the on setting.

I know some people get frustrated with that feature.

Attached is the rough draft paper version if it goes through.

Thanks,

Mike

foakes

What is your reasoning for a different lever, Mike?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Farmer Mike

That is to prevent the knuckle busting feature.  Seems like I always hit it and get a birds nest.  I like the ball bearings on the 140s but that secondary free spool is a hazard.

I don't think many use it and it would simplify the reels operation.

Sharkb8

Mike couldn't you remove the lever while in the on position and replace the lever with a washer of the same thickness then you knock into knuckle buster.

Kim

JRD

Just file down the engaging post on the eccentric and the thing is disabled with the original lever still in place

Decker

I've had the problem when putting a Penn 10 Mag in the hands of my wife and kids...  They inevitably hit that lever.  Nothing a little education can't fix, but I've seen the lever filed down and thought of doing the same.

Having the anti-reverse lever is a plus for dead-sticking in the surf.  Turn on the bait clicker, turn off the anti-reverse, and a big fish can take a short run with the bait while I get to the rod.  Better than leaving it in free-spool I think.  Definitely better than risking losing the rod.

Bill B

I agree with JRD alter the eccentric or the dog.....probably would do the dog as they are cheaper to replace if you wanted to restore the feature in the future...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Farmer Mike on December 09, 2019, 02:38:42 AM
Has anyone come up with a substitute for the switch that turns the squidders into knuckle busters (lever #21C).  Seems like a semicircular disk with the same tab as the switch that could be substituted for the lever.  I'm thinking about the size of half a dime with nicely rounded edges. Should not be too challenging for a skilled machinist.

Looking at the part you could superimpose the on and off position to template the piece then cut the hole for the on setting.

I know some people get frustrated with that feature.

Attached is the rough draft paper version if it goes through.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I just "bobbed" mine . . .

Tight Lines !

oc1

I sort of like those things.  Surely, someone besides Otto Henze must agree?  :)
-steve

milne

Quote from: oc1 on December 12, 2019, 08:04:50 AM
I sort of like those things.  Surely, someone besides Otto Henze must agree?  :)
-steve

I'm with you on this one Steve !!

Col

jon_elc

Mike, I'm copying your idea to bob the lever!

ez2cdave

Quote from: jon_elc on January 24, 2020, 06:03:51 PM

It's "Dave", not Mike . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

mo65

Quote from: ez2cdave on February 01, 2020, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: jon_elc on January 24, 2020, 06:03:51 PM

It's "Dave", not Mike . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

;D 
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

I was thinkin of gettin a C.C. Squidder kit. Don't mind losing the quick release head-plate feature with the kit, because old bakelite Penn plates tend to swell, making the quick release feature a wrench only removable unit. But I didn't wanna lose that cool AR-off feature by using the C.C. Kit.
Yeah, I gotta Squidder where everything works except that quick plate release feature. One of these days some part of the head-plate will probably break when I'm try'n turn it.
Dave's modification looks like a good option.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Gfish on February 01, 2020, 05:49:43 PMDave's modification looks like a good option.

It is done by using a Dremel tool to cut it off and polish it . . .

Note: This part is Chrome over Brass ( I don't think any are Stainless ? ).

Obviously, that operation is performed with the Lever removed from the Reel - LOL !

The nice part is that it still functions, but won't be easily activated by accident !

Tight Lines !