Lure storage phenomena 🎣

Started by gstours, December 10, 2019, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Steve - I have read where DEET is a pretty powerful industrial solvent.  I think I may have mentioned elsewhere how folks use it to clear up old "fogged" plastic headlights (that hard plastic).  I won't recommend it (minutes later you can actually push your thumbnail into the surface of the plastic of the lens) but it does work pretty quick.  And your post earlier brought back memories - as a lad I melted the trays (and several bobbers) in my Old Pal Woodstream box with a handful of Crème worms.

Dominick

Do you remember the old hand warmers that you filled with cigarette lighter fluid?  Well, years ago I was using a pair in my pockets and I was also using the "Instamatic" camera.  Instead of putting the camera back in my pack I stuck it in my pocket with the hand warmer and forgot it there.  When I went to use the camera after that I could not get a clear photo.  The fumes from the hand warmer had given the plastic lens on the camera cataracts.  The lens was so clouded that it looked like opaque glass.  It makes one wonder what all is happening when using chemicals.  Some of it must be scary stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

The hand warmer/lighter fluid is naphtha.  You can substitute cheap varnish makers and painters naphtha from the hardware storefor the Ronson product.  Weird, because it's usually pretty safe with most plastic but I don't know about the clear polycarbonate.  There may have been something funky going on with the fumes too.
-steve

jon_elc

i used to use Ronson lighter fluid for removing stubborn sticker adhesive...  i think it was due to the Naphtha.  i recently bought another bottle of Ronson - and naphtha is missing from the ingredient list - i haven't tried the new Ronson yet, so i don't know if it works at all.  if not, Zippo time! (wonder what happened to all of those old zippos)

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2019, 05:48:27 AM
The hand warmer/lighter fluid is naphtha.  You can substitute cheap varnish makers and painters naphtha from the hardware storefor the Ronson product.  Weird, because it's usually pretty safe with most plastic but I don't know about the clear polycarbonate.  There may have been something funky going on with the fumes too.
-steve

Steve it was definitely the fumes as the camera did not come in contact with any fluid.  Strange.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: jon_elc on December 16, 2019, 05:42:39 PM
(wonder what happened to all of those old zippos)
Several of them are at my house.  If there are any fans of Heddon reels you might be interested in these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-HEDDON-FISHING-ZIPPO-1966-1978-WORKING-RARE-RARE/173853299416
-steve

oc1

Quote from: jon_elc on December 16, 2019, 05:42:39 PM
i recently bought another bottle of Ronson - and naphtha is missing from the ingredient list -
I think "naphtha" is a poorly defined mixture of petroleum distillates that includes some aeromatic/volatile stuff as well as some more oily stuff.  It can be described with more specific terms.
-steve

Brewcrafter

I seem to remember that as a wee lad naphtha was the active ingredient in the mothballs that my Mom put in the closet that made my clothes smell funny at school.  Are mothballs even a thing anymore? - john

philaroman

mothballs & urinal cakes are naphthalene

cloves work almost as well as mothballs & smell MUCH better

RowdyW

Quote from: philaroman on December 17, 2019, 02:02:56 PM
mothballs & urinal cakes are naphthalene

cloves work almost as well as mothballs & smell MUCH better
I like pies better than cakes.  ;D "Have your cake & eat it too"  ::)       Rudy