Daiwa 1600C, a look inside

Started by festus, December 12, 2019, 11:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

There are plenty of the Daiwa silvers still out there on ebay, so I grabbed this 1600C.  Also have a 1300X and 2600C on the way.  We have enough Daiwa C model tutorials already, but someone out there might get their hands on a 1600C that needs service or repair.  Suppose they do an internet search for the 1600C and discover this site?  If so, they can use this thread and the other C tutorials for reference since there is little variation between models other than anti-reverse assemblies. 

This one was clean on the outside as the others, but definitely need serviced.  Reeling was sluggish but the bail functioned perfectly.

After removing this screw the entire handle assembly will slide right out.

Removing the body cover.

Removing the oscillating slide screw allows removal of the axle and spool.

A look at the drive gear.  Those plastic bushings are referred to a metal bearings on the schematic?

A look at the oscillating slide and oscillating gear.

Removing the oscillating slide and oscillating gear.

Removing 12mm righthand threaded rotor nut allows removal of rotor.

A look at the anti-reverse components and ball bearing retaing washer.

Removing ratchet.

Removing click gear.

Removing pinion and ball bearing. The washer and 3 screws may be removed without taking apart the a/r assembly if you're careful. 

A look at the drag assembly.

I failed to get pics of a few steps but there should be sufficient info to complete reassembly.

These would be considered size 40 reels comparing them to other brands.  Line capacity is 425/6, 300/8, 235/10, 175/12, and 140/15.  Mine weighs 14.8 oz on my digital scales.

festus

Schematic

happyhooker

Thanks again, festus, for the effort & time to give us a good look at a nice reel.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Chester,

Your herd of Daiwas is getting almost as large as your pack of Heddons.  :o You can only fish with one or two at a time!  ;D You are quickly becoming the go to guy on them. Seems like just yesterday that you were all over them there Shakes.  :)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Nice clear look inside Chester. I like the AR set up on these 1600s. I've had my eye on the X series model...probably bidding against Chester on these...but I doubt we run each other up too much. We both drive a hard bargain. ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Another great walk-through, Festus !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Nice work Chester, and thanks for the schematics, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ruffy

Chester,
Above you said you were getting a 1300x, has that come in? Just wondering what the internals are like (separate oscillation gear? AR on main or pinion?).

Cheers,
Andrew

festus

Quote from: Ruffy on January 13, 2020, 12:35:28 PM
Chester,
Above you said you were getting a 1300x, has that come in? Just wondering what the internals are like (separate oscillation gear? AR on main or pinion?).

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew, I made a mistake in my post, I should have said I was getting a 1600X, not a 1300X.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30063.0

bushleague

I've had one of these kicking around for a couple years but for some reason never got around to using it much, this year I put it on a 9.5' steelhead rod that I use for shore fishing on my way to and from work just to give it a work out. So far I've gotten into about a dozen Pike in the 36" range, and a couple 6lb walleye... and I'm really liking this reel.

Honestly, I quite like the external bail trip, the drag is butter smooth, and the weight balances out the long rod nicely. I find the oscillating gear makes the reel a bit more tricky to work on than the system on the X reels, but its fairly minor. Thinking of picking up a 2600 to replace the Mitchell 306 that lives on my heavy deadbait rod.