Split Ring Pliars

Started by Keta, December 13, 2019, 02:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Pleasure Dominick!

I enjoy handing out tools to others that work for me.   Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings work for me.

My Shimano Split ring pliers are perfect for #7 rings and below. 

My packet of #8 split rings is min. strenth - 240 lbs.   and I struggle with my Shimano Split ring pliers to open them wide enough for my hook eye to pass thru.

Mark - what is the strength of your #10 split rings????

Here are a few examples.

I need to step up to Mark's split ring plier suggestion before my next Cabo Trip.

Either the Blue handle XL Texas Tackle or the HFA model which I've never heard of.

My Orange Handle Texas Tackle is fine until I reach #7 rings.  Perfect for bass & trout for sure.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Wolli

i use these special designed rings and dont need any plier.

https://us-sakura-rod.jimdofree.com/products-1/bouz-ring/

Optained the rings from the following Austrian dealer:
www.tackleking.eu/lang-en/swivel-carabiner/313-bouz-sprengringe.html

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

MarkT

Quote from: El Pescador on December 14, 2019, 10:48:08 PM
Pleasure Dominick!

I enjoy handing out tools to others that work for me.   Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings work for me.

My Shimano Split ring pliers are perfect for #7 rings and below. 

My packet of #8 split rings is min. strenth - 240 lbs.   and I struggle with my Shimano Split ring pliers to open them wide enough for my hook eye to pass thru.

Mark - what is the strength of your #10 split rings????

Here are a few examples.

I need to step up to Mark's split ring plier suggestion before my next Cabo Trip.

Either the Blue handle XL Texas Tackle or the HFA model which I've never heard of.

My Orange Handle Texas Tackle is fine until I reach #7 rings.  Perfect for bass & trout for sure.

Wayne

Owner ultra #10 are 370#!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

gstours

Yes yes, this is when the men ask the boys a question! :D  After about size ? maybe 7 its becoming a problem to install the heavier split rings on a wire or hook.   Not suprised actually,  as Ive asked this question before .  After about size 10 most split ring pliers seem to be maxxed out. 
  Manufactureres may not seem interested in this small market and I,m not caring as for me it becomes a do it yoursef tool.   ;)

oc1

Seems like Dominick's staple remover with a big pair of vice grip pliers to mash it down would be the ticket.  The staple remover takes a larger bite and the ring cannot roll over on itself.  But, the staple remover has no mechanical advantage in applying pressure the way a pliers-like tool does.
-steve

gstours

Yes, it seems like the staple remover would be the solution butt, try it.   The larger rings resist opening and the opener lacks the power without leverage of handles.  Spreading more than about 3/16 inch seems very difficult and the-ring wants to roll over.
  This is why I am interested in welded rings for the jigs I cannot spread a size 10 enough.  Putting a split ring on.  A welded ring then is quite easy.

gstours

These multi functional pliers are fine and cheep.  Butt not able to spread wide enough for the larger rings.  The better split ring pliers are only split ring.   
   Shimano markets a pair for fifty dollars.  They could be the ticket for the well heeled fisher?
At least they have a self opening spring!  ;D

MarkT

The Texas Tackle pliers are single function split ring pliers.  The HPA's are more general purpose.

Nomad makes split ring pliers with a jaw like the HPA's as does Jigging World and p-pline and the p-lines are $17 at Cabellas or on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/P-Line-Chrome-Vanadium-Pliers-6-5-Inch/dp/B004RDPFQA/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930n6Wd9YmLHNOkWO1yONoYd6E2aUPeFXWy76ls_DxI-Q06gpou9Ts-kaAu2eEALw_wcB&hvadid=178146560077&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9031563&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4135400549577213423&hvtargid=kwd-33996239082&hydadcr=9690_9896393&keywords=heavy+duty+split+ring+pliers&qid=1576437466&sr=8-4

I ordered a pair from Amazon and will compare them head to head with the HPA's.

MarkT

HPA on top and PLine on the bottom both opening an Owner Hyperwire #10.  HPA opens it further but the PLine cost 1/3 of what the HPA's go for!

gstours

Thanks for the last big picture Mark T.  Here is an idea I never thought of in the difference in design between the more popular and meant for smaller to midsize split rings,  and the big boy ring pliers.  Very good photo of the difference as the little wedge vee thing is very limited in the spreading of the ring.   Thanks again. ;)

David Hall

I just got my Texas Tackle Blue from Amazon, don't remember what I paid but they work great on the biggest split rings, im able, (with a bit of effort) to get a Owner 13/0 super mutu through the ring.

Keta

I bought the TT set and they do the job, thank you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Thanks for sharing your information.   At first we all may have thought that split ring pliers were basically the same in design.  Butt now we can see a difference.
    Pick your poison 🎣

Recoil Rob

After struggling with Shimanos I got all 3 sizes of the Texas Tackle. They work well but suffer from the same problem as the Shimano's, the rubber grips slip on the steel handles inside. Tried CA glue, no help.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

oc1

Quote from: Recoil Rob on February 04, 2020, 01:01:13 AM
the rubber grips slip on the steel handles inside.

I hate that and usually just throw the rubber away when it gets loose and wrap the handle with duct tape.
-steve