The Daiwa 8100

Started by mo65, December 13, 2019, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

These reels must be pretty collectible...judging by the prices they bring...sometimes $100+ for a clean one. I've been lurking for a lower price for 2 years, and came across this one without a badge. I usually like to buy complete reels in nice shape, but for $16.95 I had to do this. It's no beauty...like the Godfather said..."I'm gonna need ya to use all your powers". ;D

I kinda got ahead of myself about the badge. Found a 5 Peso piece that was a perfect fit, polished it and the sideplate, and glued it on. Taking the reel apart for servicing is just about as easy, the yellow arrow pointing to the only concern. That screw is left hand thread.

The photo below shows there are no plastic parts here. Very few parts at all. A small screwdriver and a 12mm wrench or socket are all that is needed to disassemble the reel. A fantastically simple design!

It has an aluminum spool with a nice big 3-stack of teflon. If I were going to fish it I might swap out to carbon fiber.

I found it interesting that the drive gear is all brass except the AR ratchet...it is steel. Also the pinion, which is usually steel in a worm drive system, is brass. The bushings, supports, and bearing are a tighter tolerance than you usually see in a Daiwa from that period.

Here's the whole enchilada, much cleaner, and ready to reassemble.

It looks really good inside now, and I'm not missing the correct badge at all, the Peso is a natural!

Like so many other early spinners, it is not a flashy reel. Much of the chips and scratches in the paint weren't that at all, but were scuffs that polished out. It turned out better than I thought it would. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Great job, Mo.  That was really a good deal, I haven't seen one for less than 50 bucks.  Too bad Daiwa only made those a couple years because imho they are their best spinners.  I saw one going for about 89 bucks earlier today that isn't in any better shape than your's. 

Alto Mare

From what I see that is a heck of a reel, that could take lots of punishment.
Thanks for showing it to us Mo! Pictures are nice and detailed but can't make out if the shaft on the main gear is also keyed as the anti-reverse ratchet.
Does that screw yours showing with the arrow have something to do with helping that shaft not to rotate under stress?

Very nice tutorial Mo!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

Nice job, and a great report !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Nice catch, Mike! Those Japanese worm gear drives are kind of a rarity. It looks like it would be a good one to fish.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

is this the small size -- what's the spool's diameter?  I believe I have 3 spares for you

my mystery not-quite-Ohmori/not-quite-Daiwa (guess I didn't look back far enough w/ Daiwa)

came from same dusty lot as early small greenie spools, so age should be correct(ish)

I guess 8200, 8300 are the next 2 sizes up -- I have one more very similar larger spool

(maybe that one is early Ohmori)

happyhooker

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on December 13, 2019, 11:11:37 PM
  Like so many other early spinners, it is not a flashy reel.
It's paint and styling remind me of some sewing machines and other machinery from that era.  A solid look, IMO.  I can see why they would be expensive.
-steve

PacRat

Quote from: philaroman on December 14, 2019, 03:42:39 AM
I guess 8200, 8300 are the next 2 sizes up -- I have one more very similar larger spool

I believe the series goes: 8100, 8300, 8600, 8700. I know it seems out of order but those are the ones I've seen vintage ads for.
-Mike

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 14, 2019, 01:51:51 AM
Pictures are nice and detailed but can't make out if the shaft on the main gear is also keyed as the anti-reverse ratchet.
Does that screw yours showing with the arrow have something to do with helping that shaft not to rotate under stress? Very nice tutorial Mo!

I'm not sure how that shaft is connected to the gear, I didn't remove the ratchet. The screw the yellow arrow points to is merely the oscillation arm screw...but since it is left hand thread I wanted to point it out.

Is this the small size -- what's the spool's diameter?

Yes, this one is the smallest of the series. The spool measures 1 7/8 across the bottom.

Quote from: PacRat on December 14, 2019, 06:57:02 AM

I believe the series goes: 8100, 8300, 8600, 8700.

That is correct.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Fishing Hobby

I really like the Peso!
I thought about starting a thread on the 8100A but it is very similar to the 8100. My 8100A uses a 6 drag washer stack with 1 Teflon and 2 leather washers...not sure if it was shipped out from the factory that way or if the leathers were added by someone later (according to all of the ads I've seen for these old Daiwas they had Teflon all the way). As long as the leather ones are oiled and soft, it is a smooth drag setup and also can be tightened down with an impressive amount of drag!!! The other thing that is different is the spool on the 8100A is polished instead of anodized. Sweet line of reels, love them!

handyandy

very cool now you have me wanting to get my hands on one maybe a 8300

The Fishing Hobby

They are very well made reels. I have one of each. They are a little heavy compared to modern reels but built like tanks!

joe k

just found this one in box of older misc reels had around for years...bail spring a little weak...i assume the 8100a and 8100 bails spring are the same?..hard time finding schematics on this reel..am i correect on bail spring..replies back appreciated...joe

JasonGotaProblem

Not sure if this helps, got this from daiwa website.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.