In the Works

Started by Midway Tommy, December 14, 2019, 03:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Ever seen anything like this?  :o

I think I have my work cut out for me.  ::)

??? The main gear is actually nylon.  :o

I actually got it all apart without any mishaps and the parts are soaking!  8) Now, if I can just get it back together correctly.  ::) ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Weird--show us more.

Frank

oc1

Very strange.  Didn't they know you can just bend a piece of wire to make a spring?  Is that plastic main even in contact with the pinion?
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on December 14, 2019, 04:36:04 AM
Very strange.  Didn't they know you can just bend a piece of wire to make a spring?  Is that plastic main even in contact with the pinion?
-steve

It is when it's not resting on the handle threaded portion of the main gear shaft. Once I removed the oscillation arm, because it's resting on it's handle side, the main gear slid sideways, i.e. raised up. It's an optical illusion as a result of the camera angle.

Frank,
The stand/foot. It's collapsible.

Lots of screws to remove. The orange stud is the anti-reverse lever.

Under side of the rotor with more screws.

This plate secures the pinion worm gear, retains the anti-reverse dog & spring and the anti-reverse ratchet gear is between the brass fitting and aluminum plate. The brass fitting is threaded for the pinion, they're reverse threads. The bearing is on the back side of the plate.

Apart, left to right: pinion, bearing, aluminum plate, anti-reverse ratchet gear & brass fitting.

There are a boat load of parts in this reel.  :o You'll see when it, hopefully  ::), all goes back together.   :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Robert Janssen

That is really unique. I like it.

Alto Mare

Yes, very unique and I also like it.
Not for fishing, but wouldn't mind having one on my shelf.

Some of the parts  make little sense to me, but I wouldn't take anything away from the man that designed it. Obviously he put a lot of work into that reel, he deserves the credit.

Thanks for showing it to us Tommy... it is a nice tool to have.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

that IS pretty neat ! How is that "pull chain" attached to the bail shaft? Pin?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

It certainly does have a few parts. Nobody has asked what brand it is...is it one of those Mepp's reels? Interesting piece Tom. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: Crow on December 14, 2019, 12:18:39 PM

Reminded me of a toilet pull chain.

Man Tommy, where do you find all of these oddball reels!? Thanks for sharing this one.
Also interested in manufacturer and model.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Crow/Greg, Yes, there's a little pin that goes through the shaft. It pulls out easily when chain tension is removed.

Quote from: mo65 on December 14, 2019, 03:40:01 PM
  It certainly does have a few parts. Nobody has asked what brand it is...is it one of those Mepp's reels? Interesting piece Tom. 8)

Yes, Super Meca.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

so where does the little ball come out...

the one that knocks down the 1st domino  ;D ;D ;D

Ron Jones

It hurts my head just looking at it. They put a bunch of stuff in that reel. A clear side plate would be cool to show it off.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

It looks typical of the post war reels when all the machine shops started building reels. Ive never seen this one. Its mighty cool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

I've seen those for sale online but had no idea how they looked inside. Thanks for the look, Tommy.

happyhooker

Quote from: Gfish on December 14, 2019, 04:10:38 PM
Quote from: Crow on December 14, 2019, 12:18:39 PM

Reminded me of a toilet pull chain.

Pull the chain and it flushes out the inside of the reel for cleaning.

That thing looks like a piece of agricultural machinery from years ago.  The leg/stand with the foot looks like an old time tractor seat hanging off the back of the tractor.

Be that as it may, what a neat reel!  Unique and I'm always curious about unique.  Anxiously awaiting the next chapter in the saga.

Frank